Premed 101 Forums

Western Biological and Medical Sciences

cena

Hey, I have chosen to attend UWO for Biological and Medical Sciences for undergrad:) I just want people's opinions regarding BMSc at Western and which classes i should/shouldn't take. I was also wondering when UWO students make their timetables. Also, how many hours of class do you have in your first year and do you have enough time to join clubs/sports teams. (i.e, how is the workload for first year BMSc students?) Lastly, :P do a lot of people get into medical school from Western?

Thanks a lot:D

I remember when i was in gr12 and was about to go to western....oh how uoft bought me out.

A lot of my friends go to Western but for me, i have no info on the matter. It's a great school though and has a wonderful looking campus. You made a good choice.

I don't remember when I made my timetable but just keep checking Student Center every couple of weeks and see if there's a option to enroll in courses on the right hand side.

I don't know about sports teams if you're in Bsc (they're pretty time consuming) but there is definitely enough time to join clubs. Most clubs don't have many meetings at all. Pick a few that you know you want to dedicate your time too. I joined 4 clubs (1 sport club) and next year I will be exec in 2 of them.

I found it easier than high school because there's no assignments, no biweekly tests, no presentations.. you have a lot more time on your hands. Stay on top of your classes, don't skip too many of them, western science is NOT hard. Uwo chem is pretty much gr12 review. Bio profs can be tricky with their exams. Physics for Life Sciences is a joke, I wouldn't recommend taking this course if you actually want to learn physics or if you enjoy physics.

For my elective I took Psych. I enjoyed it, even though it was a lot of reading it wasn't hard to get 90+. Most of the terms are self-explanatory.

I'm not sure about how many people get into medschool from Western but I'm sure its a fair amount. Its a pretty big school.

Its an amazing program!

I would say that the two programs that will increase your chances in medical school (although realistically every program has a fair shot) are BMSc @ Western or BHSc @ Mac.

Both programs are great in their own ways.

I can tell you that this program is sooo interesting. With courses taught by Schulich Profs; being taught in the Med/Dental School building and having access to pretty much most of the Schulich resources that the medical and dental school gets- its one of the perks of BMSc.

Similar to the BHSc- this program is relatively small as each year more and more kids aren't allowed to continue through to the Honours Specialization stream. There are a variety of modules in which you can specialize in- lets say you like Pathology well there is a module for that or what about Anatomy? there is a module for that :)

Our Faculty really cares about us as well- from amazing counsellors Kathy and Joan! Who you can meet anytime and drop by to talk about courses, priorities and selections as well as research opportunities etc.

Remember to keep focussed in your first two years as these marks will count and there is no place to slack. You will be grateful when applying in third year. In your first year you are not in the program- as you think right now because you take a lot core courses with the Science and the Health Science kids. However, when you progress through- the course selection is amazing! From Fetal Physiology to Clinical Settings- also if you like to work for a semester or be an intern in a hospital setting you can make that into a course have a facilitator grade you.

All I can say that Med Sci amazing and there were about 6-7 kids in my class that got dentistry interviews (the last year for 2nd years from UWO) and there were SOOO manyy kids that got accepted into Med School in both 3rd/4th year. The graduating class is pretty small and a really big chunk get accepted to med/dentistry/pharmacy.

Hope this helps - be proud that you are a Mustang now!! :D

be proud that you are a Mustang now!!

+1

All of the beautiful schulich perks won't materialize until 3rd year but if you're proactive you can definitely get your foot in the door starting even in first year.

You'll take gen chem, bio, physics, and calculus in first year along with 1.0 electives of your choice. I would say take Calculus 1000 and calculus 1301 because biocalc is brutal (you'll realize at western that any course deemed "bio" something is crap unless its actual biology :P bio calc, bio stats etc etc.) HOWEVER Bio physics (physics for life science) taught by Zinke-Almang is AMAZING!! So much fun. Guy is hilarious and the class is extremely easy. If you've taken grade 12 physics take his course and you'll be so thankful you did. If you havent taken grade 12 physics then take the real physics course or you will find yourself lacking when it comes to the mcat.

As for your elective, i chose to not do a "sciency" type course (most BMSc kids will do psych 1000) and chose to take Econ 1020. Personally i loved the course and thought it was the best decision ever, it was my fav. class in first year.

Your options are almost endless so find something that interests you and go for it. Note: Language courses are a lot of work and even though they say its for beginners 99% of the class will be fluent in the language and are just using it for an easy 4.0 so if you don't know it you will get owned unless you work hard. (run-on sentence)

As for spare time. You'll have tons of it. I mean literally bajillions of hours free, which, once you get introduced to the world of DC++ you will waste away watching countless TV shows and movies. If you're the motivated type though, you will definitely have lots of time to join clubs / and or be a varsity athlete (i personally know someone who did both at the same time and still interviewed in third year)

Your timetable creation will happen at SAO or you can do it online (someone mentioned the date) i suggest going to SAO if you can because its fun and you will generally meet someone there who you can chat with for the day and then you already have a friend before even starting o-week.

As for your last question, yes.

Lol...another health sci reject here as well. Anyhow, to Western we all go. :)

Um? More like BHSc Transfer acceptee but I rejected it . Its funny how ignorant people can become? I for one don't really play into the debate not my time or effort. People can say what they want about any program but if you lack the work ethic you're going to fail at anything you do. Come to UWO and you'll meet atleast a handful of kids who did reject Mac for Western.

Just my two cents.... :rolleyes:

Um? More like BHSc Transfer acceptee but I rejected it . Its funny how ignorant people can become? I for one don't really play into the debate not my time or effort. People can say what they want about any program but if you lack the work ethic you're going to fail at anything you do. Come to UWO and you'll meet atleast a handful of kids who did reject Mac for Western.

Just my two cents.... :rolleyes:

Wow, someone who rejected BHSc at Mac for Biomed at Western. Kudos to you sir. I would've taken the other option and enjoy an easier and more flexible ride to med school.

I've yet to meet 1 person at Western who was accepted into the program but turned it down.

Wow, someone who rejected BHSc at Mac for Biomed at Western. Kudos to you sir. I would've taken the other option and enjoy an easier and more flexible ride to med school.

I've yet to meet 1 person at Western who was accepted into the program but turned it down.

I know of 3 people who rejected mac health sci for UWO med sci (all in my year), and they are all in med school after 3rd year, including myself. I just wanted a solid foundation in a variety of basic science and clinical-oriented courses before entering medical school, and that is exactly what I got going to UWO. I can now enter medical school having taken immunology, physiology, pathology, epidemiology, and anatomy in my 3rd year, and not have to worry about whether I have a good foundation for med school. Undergrad was not a means to an end for me, and I feel a lot more prepared for the rigors of med school compared to some of my friends at mac health sci (not bashing the program of course, different strokes for different folks).

I know of 3 people who rejected mac health sci for UWO med sci (all in my year), and they are all in med school after 3rd year, including myself. I just wanted a solid foundation in a variety of basic science and clinical-oriented courses before entering medical school, and that is exactly what I got going to UWO. I can now enter medical school having taken immunology, physiology, pathology, epidemiology, and anatomy in my 3rd year, and not have to worry about whether I have a good foundation for med school. Undergrad was not a means to an end for me, and I feel a lot more prepared for the rigors of med school compared to some of my friends at mac health sci (not bashing the program of course, different strokes for different folks).

+10000

I can tell you I know 3 frosh coming as well in to Med Sci who have done the same.. so before ego's flare from the acceptees just know that there are more paths to be trekked than just one ;)

To be honest- learning from the same Profs at Schulich Med School was one of my most memorable experiences..they are amazing (any UWO Med's would agree) and learning in the same building really allows the Med Sci kids to be in the right "mindset" to figure out whether or not Medicine is for them :)

.. again this is just my opinion I know some die hard fans of Med/Health Sci - and its to each their own

Wow, thanks for your insight! If you don't mind me asking, what was your GPA and what medical school did u get accepted to? Also, can you list some of your ec's? Thanks a lot :)

I believe most of the above mentioned courses are part of the health science curriculum. The reason Mac health sci curriculum sounds so appealing to me (aside from the unique grading schemes) is the flexibility of the program (hearsay) that can facilitate in developing non-cognitive abilities which are practical not only for interviews but for life outside academia.

Archived