Premed 101 Forums

Family Medicine elective at Western

Hi,

I'll be starting a four-week Family Medicine elective at Western in a couple of weeks and I'm just wondering (for those who are at Western or who have done electives at Western) if I need to wear a lab coat. I go to school in Ireland and all students have to wear the traditional long white lab coats...basically at all times (except for our Pediatrics & Psychiatry rotations). I've done electives in other provinces in Canada and....when I was in Newfoundland, for example, the doctors made fun of me when I showed up the first in my lab coat (and then they told me I didn't need to wear one).

Do I need to wear one during my elective at Western?

I know this may sound stupid....but sometimes, it's the little things that worry me!!:confused:

Thanks

They might mistake you for a resident too.... medical students wear short coats

The only med students that wear coats (and at UWO they're long), are in very specific specialties and only at the request of their preceptors (i.e. ENT, nephrology). Almost everyone else thinks they're silly.

that's because they are silly,...they're a relic of a social symbol of the past. i always laugh especially hard when i see psychiatrists with white coats and i go into the ER and the doctors are wearing jeans and a t-shirt or scrubs and id badge.

why don't we just wear id badges that have out title on them... that seems sufficient, sometimes i feel like im in tae kwon do again, guess what, i have a red belt biatch... anyhoo

The only med students that wear coats (and at UWO they're long), are in very specific specialties and only at the request of their preceptors (i.e. ENT, nephrology). Almost everyone else thinks they're silly.

That's because ERPs are slobs. ;)

I've never seen a psychiatrist wear a white coat - and I completely disagree that they're some kind of "social symbol". Maybe outside the hospital, but inside they're an essential means for carrying around a lot of stuff. And if anything the higher up the ladder you are, the more likely you won't need to wear one.

Maybe you could make a case for white coat + stethoscope around the neck as a medical symbol, but lots of people in the hospital wear a white coat (NP, pharm, lab techs, etc.) so it's nonspecific. Sometimes I miss having one - more convenient for me to have pockets than carry a bag around, lends elegance to cheap and less well-fitting clothes, protects nice dress clothes from hospital alphabet soup germs.

That's because ERPs are slobs. ;)

I've never seen a psychiatrist wear a white coat - and I completely disagree that they're some kind of "social symbol". Maybe outside the hospital, but inside they're an essential means for carrying around a lot of stuff. And if anything the higher up the ladder you are, the more likely you won't need to wear one.

I have seen several psychiatrists wear white coats when they do consults on the wards.

Archived