Premed 101 Forums

Considerations about Special Considerations

Hello,

I was hoping to get some advice on whether or not I would have a chance to appeal to medical admissions committees based on health issues. During my first two years of undergraduate school, I did not receive a mark above 71 (one 71, two 70s, and the rest were even lower). I never failed, but my overall GPA is still quite low because of these two years. After my second year, I was treated for ADHD, something that had always been pointed out to me as a potential problem, but not something that I ever seriously considered, as it never affected my grades to the extent that it did during university. After receiving treatment, my grades jumped from about a 2.0GPA for my first two years to about 3.64 in my final two years. During my final year, I took an overload of courses, including a thesis, as I was determined to graduate with an honours degree. I was successful in achieving this, and graduated with an honours degree in biology. I am currently enrolled in a thesis-based Masters. I was wondering what my chances are; is it reasonable to ask to be considered as an exceptional circumstance given my situation? Or would it be better for me to try to make up for lost time and not request special consideration? (My MCAT score is 34R and my extracurriculars are pretty good)

Hello,

I was hoping to get some advice on whether or not I would have a chance to appeal to medical admissions committees based on health issues. During my first two years of undergraduate school, I did not receive a mark above 71 (one 71, two 70s, and the rest were even lower). I never failed, but my overall GPA is still quite low because of these two years. After my second year, I was treated for ADHD, something that had always been pointed out to me as a potential problem, but not something that I ever seriously considered, as it never affected my grades to the extent that it did during university. After receiving treatment, my grades jumped from about a 2.0GPA for my first two years to about 3.64 in my final two years. During my final year, I took an overload of courses, including a thesis, as I was determined to graduate with an honours degree. I was successful in achieving this, and graduated with an honours degree in biology. I am currently enrolled in a thesis-based Masters. I was wondering what my chances are; is it reasonable to ask to be considered as an exceptional circumstance given my situation? Or would it be better for me to try to make up for lost time and not request special consideration? (My MCAT score is 34R and my extracurriculars are pretty good)

You should certainly request special consideration, make sure you provide all of the relevant documentation. You will probably be granted it.

However you should be aware that medical schools, by and large, will not care what you have done since. In other words, they won't care that you had a 3.64 with a hard courseload, they will only look at your 3.64 in the last two years. Even with special consideration, you may not be competitive at many Canadian schools. You should consider a second degree (especially if your MCAT scores make Queen's/Western cutoffs).

Thanks for the reply, simpy. I have been looking into admission requirements for various schools. With Western, my last year GPA is above the cutoff (~3.79) and if I take a 'special year' (as outlined on their admissions page) I could make the cutoff for an interview. Right now, though, my sights are kind of set on Queens. I know they can be forgiving to a Masters student whose GPA isn't quite up to par, or one that exhibits a rising trend. I believe that my Masters coursework, despite not being a full course load as it is thesis-based program, will be 3.9-4.0. Do you think that, providing their leniency with graduate student GPA, and taking into account my special consideration, I might be granted an interview there (assuming everything else on my application is competitive)? I know that this is purely speculation, but everyone's opinion is valid.

For Queen's, based on these forums and personal experience with friends, I'd say with your MCAT and a solid ABS/LORs you have a good shot at an interview as a grad student. I want to say something fluffy here about how you will only be able to reach your dreams if you take a leap of faith... but that would be lame!

Thanks for the reply, simpy. I have been looking into admission requirements for various schools. With Western, my last year GPA is above the cutoff (~3.79) and if I take a 'special year' (as outlined on their admissions page) I could make the cutoff for an interview. Right now, though, my sights are kind of set on Queens. I know they can be forgiving to a Masters student whose GPA isn't quite up to par, or one that exhibits a rising trend. I believe that my Masters coursework, despite not being a full course load as it is thesis-based program, will be 3.9-4.0. Do you think that, providing their leniency with graduate student GPA, and taking into account my special consideration, I might be granted an interview there (assuming everything else on my application is competitive)? I know that this is purely speculation, but everyone's opinion is valid.

You may get an interview, but the probability of it is not super high, and the chance of admission is even lower. I think you should still give it a shot, but I would certainly be considering other options in case it doesn't work out.

I would consider a second degree, and do what you can to get those marks high (aim for Ottawa's cutoffs!). If you can make the cutoffs at Queen's, Western and Ottawa, you would have a pretty good chance of getting into at least one of them.

I think that I will do that if my masters doesn't work out. I just wasn't sure about whether or not I should apply for special consideration. Although I believe it is a valid situation and the grades speak for themselves about the effects of my condition, I do not want to sound like I am whining or anything... I'm not sure if that is just me being weird though.

I think that I will do that if my masters doesn't work out. I just wasn't sure about whether or not I should apply for special consideration. Although I believe it is a valid situation and the grades speak for themselves about the effects of my condition, I do not want to sound like I am whining or anything... I'm not sure if that is just me being weird though.

Not being weird - definitely apply for special consideration.

so you are doing an special undergraduate year before applying for your Masters? That would give you potentially best two years and last two years for Queens (although Queens is still a bit confusing to me this year as they have changed a lot of policies lately :) )

I would consider doing a special year - but would I be able to do that after my MSc? I would not be able to take 5 full undergraduate credits on top of my research and graduate coursework... Not that I haven't tried - my supervisor just was not thrilled with the idea (understandably so!)

Archived