Premed 101 Forums

Honours Spec. in Physiology or Phys/Pharm?

Hi everyone! So I'm having a really hard time making a decision right now, I can't decide if I want to do Physiology or Phys/Pharm. I know this is really a personal decision, but I just can't seem to make up my mind so I thought I'd see if anyone has any input on the matter

The only reason really that I would do just physiology is because I would like to take the 3rd year pathology courses this year. I am currently in Med Sci with a major in Physiology (because I was told this would help me get into 3130y). If I take the pathology courses I wouldn't be able to fit the Pharm 3580y or 3620 and so wouldn't be able to get into 4th year phys/pharm.

Do you think it would be worth it to take the path courses or should I just go for phys/pharm? I'm currently working in a clin pharm lab which is what has really brought up this interest in pharm. They have said I could do my 4th year thesis here if I did phys/pharm though I'm not even sure I would want to because I think I'd prefer to do something more physiology based. I thought though also that if I did phys/pharm they might have more of an incentive to hire me again next summer in this lab.

I completed an honours specialization in phys/pharm and took all the third year path courses. In third year I took cell phys, the full year physiology course, intro tox and intro pharm, both path courses, both the phys and the pharm labs and a half year elective. I believe I took the path courses as electives. In forth year I needed to take an English so that I could apply to some of the medical schools across canada and couldn't fit in fourth year path. It's normally restricted so what you do is declare an honours spec. in pharm/physio and a major in path for 4th year but do not graduate/finish the path major.

I completed an honours specialization in phys/pharm and took all the third year path courses. In third year I took cell phys, the full year physiology course, intro tox and intro pharm, both path courses, both the phys and the pharm labs and a half year elective. I believe I took the path courses as electives. In forth year I needed to take an English so that I could apply to some of the medical schools across canada and couldn't fit in fourth year path. It's normally restricted so what you do is declare an honours spec. in pharm/physio and a major in path for 4th year but do not graduate/finish the path major.

Thats a very tricky idea for getting into 4th year path! I was considering already though doing a minor in Cell Bio to be able to take translational models of cancer and integrative neuroscience. I don't know if I could do both.

The thing about doing all that in 3rd is that I was hoping to take my 1.0 social sci credits this year and systemic human anatomy. Which doesn't really give me room for both Pharm and Path. I suppose I could rearrange my 4th year course selections. Hmmm

I chose Phys instead of Phys/Pharm because it allowed so much more flexibility. I see no real advantage for Phys/Pharm as you can do most pharm courses and in the right lab, your thesis can be pretty pharm-based regardless.

That's true, I hadn't really noticed until you said that that you can get into most of the 4th year pharm courses without taking 3620 or 3580y.

Did you take 3620 or 3580y at all? I wonder too how the courseload would be if you're basically taking 6 courses (if taking both 3130y and 3580y)

That's true, I hadn't really noticed until you said that that you can get into most of the 4th year pharm courses without taking 3620 or 3580y.

Did you take 3620 or 3580y at all? I wonder too how the courseload would be if you're basically taking 6 courses (if taking both 3130y and 3580y)

Can't help you there as every elective I took had nothing to do with science lol. 313 isn't too bad a course though.

I personally didn't find it challenging to take the two lab courses at the same time and did really well in both. I mean.. it's a bit of work and takes some organizing as you can end up with presentations and labs due every other week. I would recommend taking the heavier course load during the first semester...that really helped me from burning out at the end of the year.

I took Pharm/Phys because I was interested in taking some pharm courses that needed pre-reqs and was really interested in tox. The pharm program isn't really that strong at western right now and I found that many courses where disorganized but very easy. They have a council set up that is trying to re-vamp the program though.

It's true that if you take the phys thesis class you can get involved with a lab that is primarily pharm oriented.

I personally didn't find it challenging to take the two lab courses at the same time and did really well in both. I mean.. it's a bit of work and takes some organizing as you can end up with presentations and labs due every other week. I would recommend taking the heavier course load during the first semester...that really helped me from burning out at the end of the year.

I took Pharm/Phys because I was interested in taking some pharm courses that needed pre-reqs and was really interested in tox. The pharm program isn't really that strong at western right now and I found that many courses where disorganized but very easy. They have a council set up that is trying to re-vamp the program though.

It's true that if you take the phys thesis class you can get involved with a lab that is primarily pharm oriented.

How would you end up with a heavier course load in first semester only? If you're taking both of the labs, wouldn't you end up with 6 courses each semester. Or did you do 7 first and 5 second?

I really was hoping to take a certain course first semester, but if I did phys/pharm I would be doing 7 and then 5. It would make more sense obviously to do 6 and 6, but do you think it's still manageable?

I feel like Im in the same predicament as you cdaw23! Have you heard about any of the 4th year physiology courses? I was looking at some course outlines, and they are all essay format exams and worth ~60+%. I find this kind of intimidating :confused: ......

It's not ;)

I hadn't done a single short-answer/essay exam in the sciences till 2nd semester of this year (4th year) and I was really worried, even though I was used to essay exams thanks to non-science courses

In any case, the questions are pretty simple and straightforward and a lot of people felt they were better than MC exams. Stem cell bio for example was one of my favourite midterms just because it was so straightforward: as long as you read the lecture notes and understood the concept, it was easy. 4th year is more about concepts and application (for example, you have to design experiments for some of the big essay questions) and less about memorization of small details...

Which courses are you thinking of, smartypants?

It's not ;)

I hadn't done a single short-answer/essay exam in the sciences till 2nd semester of this year (4th year) and I was really worried, even though I was used to essay exams thanks to non-science courses

In any case, the questions are pretty simple and straightforward and a lot of people felt they were better than MC exams. Stem cell bio for example was one of my favourite midterms just because it was so straightforward: as long as you read the lecture notes and understood the concept, it was easy. 4th year is more about concepts and application (for example, you have to design experiments for some of the big essay questions) and less about memorization of small details...

Which courses are you thinking of, smartypants?

Right now Im registered in a double major in medsci and physiology. But I just recently started considering a major in anatomy cell biology (or micrbio... im so confused lol) instead of physiology. I heard 3120 + 3140a are killer and in anatomy cell bio you are able to take 3309 and 3319 which I feel I would enjoy much more. 3140a actually doesn't worry me that much as I really enjoyed cell bio in 2nd year, but I have not heard the best things about 3120.

I guess Im like any typical pre-med trying to choose the best and most 'efficient' path to med school. I want to choose a major that I will have flexibility to choose courses I enjoy and that have a lot of options, so Im not constrained into taking ridiculously hard courses. I know there is no easy path, but I just want to make a 'wise' decision. I didn't make the wisest course selections in 2nd year, so Im trying to compensate my 2nd year gpa with an incredible 3rd year one.

Fetal physiology, G.I and renal physiology really sound interesting. When they say essay based exams, Im assuming their application questions? And the typical essay structure doesn't have to be followed? I've heard it is more difficult to do well on essay based exams then M/C... do you agree with this?

I would appreciate any advice, isix. Thanks!! :)

I took 3140, 3120 and anatomy 3319 or 09?(not the histology one). Personally, i did not enjoy 3140 at all....the exams are 40% 60%, and it is very easy to screw up./...On the other hand, 3120 is relatively easier..Although the exams are cumulative, but the concepts are not hard to understand..just a lot of info to understand.

I took 3140, 3120 and anatomy 3319 or 09?(not the histology one). Personally, i did not enjoy 3140 at all....the exams are 40% 60%, and it is very easy to screw up./...On the other hand, 3120 is relatively easier..Although the exams are cumulative, but the concepts are not hard to understand..just a lot of info to understand.

Thanks for the feedback miss q! I really appreciate it. Do you mind me asking what module you were in? Are there any third year medsci courses you recommend? :)

i am in HSP Physiology..I took anatomy, cell physio, 3120, 3130Y, writing 2101, classics 2200 and social psych. my electives are pretty easy..I would recommend writing 2101 if u havent fulfilled ur writing credit yet, it is unlike english courses where there is only a few ppl who get above 80..I finished with 84, and I am pleased with getting it in a writing course.

i am in HSP Physiology..I took anatomy, cell physio, 3120, 3130Y, writing 2101, classics 2200 and social psych. my electives are pretty easy..I would recommend writing 2101 if u havent fulfilled ur writing credit yet, it is unlike english courses where there is only a few ppl who get above 80..I finished with 84, and I am pleased with getting it in a writing course.

How was social psych, did you take it with Olson or Sorrentino? I've heard that course is good with Olson but I haven't heard much on Sorrentino.

i took it with olsen, but i dont think it would make that big of a difference....the only reason u go to classes is to see the videos because they will be on the exams. the exams themselves are not tricky, i spent around 3-4 hrs on top of finishing the readings before every exam to review over the notes and got away with a 90

If you don't want to be constrained, I suggest you stay with Medical Sciences as your module, having the flexibility to take a lot of courses you like (and maybe prereqs for those courses).

I can only give proper opinions on the courses I took: cell phys WAS annoying, and it's a lot more detailed than cell bio was. They're really not THAT similar. Cell phys was about electrophysiology, and transporters such as kinase receptors and ion channels, and all the pathways to do with that. I didn't like it, but I did alright in the course...

I LOVED human phys. Admittedly, there is a lot of material, but I think that if one loves the human body, then this is the course for them. It was a good overview for a lot of the systems, and writing the BS section of the MCATs after this course was a joke. The profs are amazing, and Stavraky (who got the Pleva award at our convocation yesterday, Western's highest award for teaching :D ) is amazing! The course IS hardwork, but I feel like I retained so much from that course just because if the way it was taught (minus cardio and endocrine systems of course)

I also loved histology (anatomy 3309). The exams were MC and I was really worried, but apparently, I had no reason to. The questions were straightforward and very basic. Simple memorization and understanding of the material. The lab stuff was a bit harder, but the assignments make the lab mark a lot higher than it would be with just the quizzes and exams.

As for fourth year courses, I didn't take the three you asked about. Instead, I took phys of the senses, motor phys, stem cell and cell injury and repair. I loved stem cell and motor phys, though the latter had relatively harder exams (Everling wants concise and clear answers and if you write anything that's wrong bc you aren't sure, you're screwed). Regardless, I loved it because I love neuro. Stem cell too was difficult because there was a lot of material, but it was just so fascinating!

I've hear good things about fetal phys, though a lot of memorization may be involved, I'm not sure. I think GI is with Tepperman, who also teaches the GI section of human phys 3120, and he's an amazing prof but he has just as many people who don't like him as people who do.

I think that if you are interested in physiology, or even Med Sci with your 2.0 coming from phys, then wait till human phys to see what you like, and base your fourth year courses from that, rather than what's hard...and if you're not sure about the module, try to get the prereqs this year for the modules you think you may want to go into...it is hard though...unfortunately, there just isn't enough space to meet the prereqs for more than two possible modules.

You should also consider what interests you about the human body or medical sciences. Do you like learning about the function of organs or systems? Do you like anatomy, with lots of memorization? How basic cell physiology or function is at the macromolecular level?

Again, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask some more ;)

If you don't want to be constrained, I suggest you stay with Medical Sciences as your module, having the flexibility to take a lot of courses you like (and maybe prereqs for those courses).

I can only give proper opinions on the courses I took: cell phys WAS annoying, and it's a lot more detailed than cell bio was. They're really not THAT similar. Cell phys was about electrophysiology, and transporters such as kinase receptors and ion channels, and all the pathways to do with that. I didn't like it, but I did alright in the course...

I LOVED human phys. Admittedly, there is a lot of material, but I think that if one loves the human body, then this is the course for them. It was a good overview for a lot of the systems, and writing the BS section of the MCATs after this course was a joke. The profs are amazing, and Stavraky (who got the Pleva award at our convocation yesterday, Western's highest award for teaching :D ) is amazing! The course IS hardwork, but I feel like I retained so much from that course just because if the way it was taught (minus cardio and endocrine systems of course)

I also loved histology (anatomy 3309). The exams were MC and I was really worried, but apparently, I had no reason to. The questions were straightforward and very basic. Simple memorization and understanding of the material. The lab stuff was a bit harder, but the assignments make the lab mark a lot higher than it would be with just the quizzes and exams.

As for fourth year courses, I didn't take the three you asked about. Instead, I took phys of the senses, motor phys, stem cell and cell injury and repair. I loved stem cell and motor phys, though the latter had relatively harder exams (Everling wants concise and clear answers and if you write anything that's wrong bc you aren't sure, you're screwed). Regardless, I loved it because I love neuro. Stem cell too was difficult because there was a lot of material, but it was just so fascinating!

I've hear good things about fetal phys, though a lot of memorization may be involved, I'm not sure. I think GI is with Tepperman, who also teaches the GI section of human phys 3120, and he's an amazing prof but he has just as many people who don't like him as people who do.

I think that if you are interested in physiology, or even Med Sci with your 2.0 coming from phys, then wait till human phys to see what you like, and base your fourth year courses from that, rather than what's hard...and if you're not sure about the module, try to get the prereqs this year for the modules you think you may want to go into...it is hard though...unfortunately, there just isn't enough space to meet the prereqs for more than two possible modules.

You should also consider what interests you about the human body or medical sciences. Do you like learning about the function of organs or systems? Do you like anatomy, with lots of memorization? How basic cell physiology or function is at the macromolecular level?

Again, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask some more ;)

I am torn between doing Physiology, Phys/Pharm or Pathology. I was thinking I could take the following courses next year and decide based off which courses I like best, which module to apply for in 4th. Here I'm trying to cover all the prereq's for the 3 modules I'm deciding between:

Cell Phys 3140a, Phys 3120, Phys 3130y, Anatomy 3319, Pharm 3620, Path 3240a, and Path 3245b.

Now this is based off someone telling me that I could defer Pharm 3580y until 4th year if needed though I'm not entirely sure that that is even true because it's included in the calculation for getting into 4th. I mean to ask the Bmsc ladies about this.

Would this be too heavy a courseload do you think? Would I be better off to just choose now and take a couple social sci courses (which I still need to graduate)? The thing too about Path is that I don't know for sure I would get in so it might be a better idea to just take a couple easier courses and try for Phys. According to the bmsc website the minimum average for 4th year path was 88.25% If I got a 91% average next year I could make that, but that's fairly high still...

Any thoughts on what I should do? I'm so torn.

Archived