Premed 101 Forums

studying abroad

If you do plan to take courses overseas, be wary about their marking scheme and how it ties into your GPA if you plan on applying to med school here. Sometimes people have real difficulty translating a "very good" to a letter grade or percentage. Something to think about.

If you do end up doing anything outside of canada, I believe that to get your marks perceived correctly by can. med schools (US as well if you go outside of the states) you would use WES (World education services) to translate the grade into something med schools can use... otherwise its a bit of a crapshoot, especially if the institution you go to is very difficult and you dont get any recognition for that

perhaps it would be better to just travel

I think you should look into your options before giving up. First of all, most schools won't take into consideration summer courses so submitting transcripts that haven't been converted won't/shouldn't be a problem.

As an alternative to your idea, why not consider doing something like Help Exchange? (http://www.helpx.net) there are TONS of different opportunities all over the world that could grant you meaningful and cultural experiences. THis is also a great and cheap alternative to discovering the people of a country rather than seeing the typical tourist attraction sites. As an example, last summer I spent 2 weeks working on a small vineyard and self-sustainable property in Tuscany. In exchange, they put me up in their bed-and-breakfast, fed me their incredible food, drank their home-made wine and learned what it really is to live the more "rural" Italian lifestyle. Are you sold yet!?

Archived