Premed 101 Forums

Be a Donor!

epyfathom

There's now a website for Ontarians to register to be a organ donor! I just signed up, but recently some people have been telling stories of doctors, let's say, not doing their best to save one's life because of it.

What do you guys think and are you going to sign up?

http://beadonor.ca/watch

No thanks. I like to keep my organs.

There's now a website for Ontarians to register to be a organ donor! I just signed up, but recently some people have been telling stories of doctors, let's say, not doing their best to save one's life because of it.

What do you guys think and are you going to sign up?

http://beadonor.ca/watch

You have to be stable and brain dead for your organs to be viable. I don't see how one could reach that status without the ER doctor doing everything in his/her own power to save you. It's not like he has the time to check your driver's license in an emergency situation to see if you're an organ donor or look it up on a registry and then just chill back and let you die. The transplant surgery team isn't the one dictating who lives and dies either. The people telling you the kind of misinformation you're hearing are totally wrong.

I am an organ donor.

I just want to clarify about needing to be stable and brain dead to donate. This is not true for all tissues!

Corneal transplant is one of many tissue transplants that can be done from a person after they are dead, not brain dead, completely dead. Apparently this is quite common. Big deal things like heart and lungs can be taken from a donating brain dead but otherwise viable individual, but this is not the only way! I would hate for people to get the wrong impression and not donate or discourage others from donating. I have seen long bones taken prior to autopsy as well but I am not sure why...

You are a complete douchebag.

Heh, I think he may be referring to my poorly phrased title that can be misconstrued to mean to immediately donate organs rather than to sign up for a donors list... Regardless, I think it's a really personal choice and I can see why people will choose not to do it.

There's no way to quote a quote here is there? In any case, @aaronjw:

People have the right to choose whether or not they want to donate their organs. If peef doesn't want to donate his, it doesn't merit calling him a douchebag. And you may not have been calling him on directly because of this, but considering your post only consisted of his quote, "No thanks. I like to keep my organs.", followed by your reply, "You are a complete douchebag.", with no other context for your reply, one could possibly (and probably would as I did) conclude that you are indeed calling him a douchebag solely because he doesn't want to donate.

Either way, I think comments like "put on your big boy pants and calm down" are not going to make people calm down, and you're only going to continue a pointless argument. I think the posts in this thread should reflect its original purpose which is to educate people about the opportunities to save someone's life by donating their organs. Leave the pointless arguments for a less important thread, or maybe in PMs if you so choose.

Either way, I think comments like "put on your big boy pants and calm down" are not going to make people calm down, and you're only going to continue a pointless argument. I think the posts in this thread should reflect its original purpose which is to educate people about the opportunities to save someone's life by donating their organs. Leave the pointless arguments for a less important thread, or maybe in PMs if you so choose.

As mentioned, the original purpose of the post was pointing out another resource for those who choose to be organ donors. The first reply, though not in great taste, was simply an opinion or perhaps even a joke.

As those going into the medical profession (or just even as educated members of a society), please hold yourself up to higher standards than name calling and posting derogatory comments.

Never. Ontario also only has a opt-in (yes) option, no opt-out option and if you are not opted-in, they will still try to take your organs. Pretty f*cking disgusting if you ask me.

http://www.giftoflife.on.ca/en/faq.htm

Why are only "Yes" responses to donation being collected?

Our goal is to increase organ and tissue donation in Ontario. Our research shows jurisdictions that have instituted a "Yes" only registry have experienced an increase in donor registrations.

No kidding. In other news, in democracies where only one politician is on the ballot, that politician tends to be elected!

If I don't register "Yes", do you view me as a "No"?

No. If you are a potential organ and tissue donor your family will be approached by Trillium Gift of Life Network (and health care professionals) to discuss the option of donating your organs and tissue. Your family can consent to donate on your behalf, if you are unable to do so.

Therefore, it is important that you share your donation decision with your loved ones, so that they can fulfill your donation decision in the event of your death. If you register consent to donate, this information will be shared with your family so that they can respect your wishes. Also, you relieve them of the burden of making this decision on your behalf.

Classy. Don't you want to relieve your family of the burden of your wishes? I'm sorry that my DYING and my LAST WISHES are SUCH a burden on my family and I hope they will never have to suffer through that. I guess I should just donate and take the easy way out.

Let me tell you 90% of the people you donate your organs to:

- people in MVAs who were driving dangerously and who, thanks to you, will live another day to kill someone else

- people who smoked 50 years with tar-filled lungs and want to pollute the world just a little more

- people who can't stop eating their Big Macs and need a new heart because their taxpayer-funded millions of dollars in aggressive statins, quadruple bypasses, stents just aren't enough anymore

- people on dialysis who won't give up their poor habits that lead them there in the first place

- people who got something in their eye, i.e. stupid reckless people (how many people do you know that have needed a corneal transplant? I'm betting very few, because the people you know are not stupid)

:D

/Seriously though, a policy where only opt-ins are allowed is pretty disgusting and unethical in my view. It is pretty sad that "no, I don't want anyone reaching into my chest and snatching something up when I'm dead" is not the default, when that is the most humane

Wow. There is a lot of misconception out there about transplants! Transplants save lives. I believe donors are heroes.

CVD is not just due to bad habits, but influenced by genetics, age and many other cofactors. Even if 90% of transplants went to so-called 'stupid' people with chronic bad habits, you still wouldn't donate if there was a 10% chance your organs could save a child's life?! How many children grow up with parents providing a poor diet and who smoke around their children. Do those kids not deserve a chance if they get CVD?

I understand that your body is your own. If someone does not want to donate, that is their choice and they are not to be blamed for not donating, but I am worried about people not donating who would have otherwise except for misinformation.

I am a little worked up. I grew up with a girl who was a savior sibling.

Transplantable organs and tissues

LHSC Transplant Stats

Sorry folks, peef is a douche and his post history denotes that. Others will make jokes about him in threads he posts in (this one has them, funny btw) and others will ride him for the douche he is and the douchey things he writes.

And those who have seen the crap he espouses likely dont have much of an issue with him being called out as a douche and if you do have a problem, that's fair but have gander at some of his post history to judge for yourselves :)

no, peef is definitely a douche. lambaste me all you want, but in my opinion, anyone that isn't willing to give the gift of living to someone in need, after their life has ended is puerile, thoughtless and selfish.

In my opinion anyone who doesn't donate all their monetary savings to me is twice as puerile, thoughtless and selfish as someone who doesn't donate their organs.

I guess that makes you TWICE the douche that peef is.

((Seriously, if you're not willing to engage in a discussion and just want to call people who don't agree with you douches, why even post? Is it so you can feel important on the internet?))

I am curious ... What are people's reasons for not wanting to be an organ donor?? I think that the ability to transplant is as close as it comes to magic ( in a geeky science sense). And who wouldn't be proud to be able to help out at least one life?

And btw, what's up with the '10 char' thing??

Never. Ontario also only has a opt-in (yes) option, no opt-out option and if you are not opted-in, they will still try to take your organs. Pretty f*cking disgusting if you ask me.

http://www.giftoflife.on.ca/en/faq.htm

No kidding. In other news, in democracies where only one politician is on the ballot, that politician tends to be elected!

Therefore, it is important that you share your donation decision with your loved ones, so that they can fulfill your donation decision in the event of your death. If you register consent to donate, this information will be shared with your family so that they can respect your wishes. Also, you relieve them of the burden of making this decision on your behalf.

Classy. Don't you want to relieve your family of the burden of your wishes? I'm sorry that my DYING and my LAST WISHES are SUCH a burden on my family and I hope they will never have to suffer through that. I guess I should just donate and take the easy way out.

Let me tell you 90% of the people you donate your organs to:

- people in MVAs who were driving dangerously and who, thanks to you, will live another day to kill someone else

- people who smoked 50 years with tar-filled lungs and want to pollute the world just a little more

- people who can't stop eating their Big Macs and need a new heart because their taxpayer-funded millions of dollars in aggressive statins, quadruple bypasses, stents just aren't enough anymore

- people on dialysis who won't give up their poor habits that lead them there in the first place

- people who got something in their eye, i.e. stupid reckless people (how many people do you know that have needed a corneal transplant? I'm betting very few, because the people you know are not stupid)

:D

/Seriously though, a policy where only opt-ins are allowed is pretty disgusting and unethical in my view. It is pretty sad that "no, I don't want anyone reaching into my chest and snatching something up when I'm dead" is not the default, when that is the most humane

I'm misunderstanding your frustration.. what's so 'evil' about an opt-in option? I just had to renew my health card and it came with the opt-in form for organ donation in the mail. when I went to the Service Ontario place to renew it, they asked me if I wanted to opt-in and to "take my time" thinking about it. I did not feel coerced at any point, but maybe that's just me. if it's opt-in, people have to voluntary still sign their name on a form signifying they want to donate their organs and/or tissue. it's not like it's an opt-out option where everyone is automatically a donor and you need to signify if you DON'T want to be one. that would be truly unethical.

also, it's understandable if they're only trying to collect "yes" forms. a) why would anyone want to send in a form saying "no"? it's just assumed you don't want to be an organ donor if you don't send in a "yes" B) you may change your mind later on about being an organ donor, so it seems easier to opt-in than to have to change your status from "no" to "yes".. for example, if you were young and had sent in a "no" then the hospital has to respect that, but if your mind had changed as you got older and you'd actually wanted to donate and your family and friends knew that but you never got around to changing your donor status.. there's no way to prove you wanted to donate in that case and they have to go by what has been previously indicated.

I think there are a lot of misconceptions here and a lot of harsh judgment. if your argument is that "these people have f*cked up their lives already, they don't deserve a second chance by having an organ transplant" then that's pretty disgusting to hear from some future doctors. it's not our call to decide who deserves to live or die, but as doctors it is our duty to ensure our patients are getting the kind of care they need and being educated to make healthier choices for the future. at the end of the day, a life saved is a life saved and isn't that the point of medicine?

My mom got a kidney transplant that saved her life.

My fiancée may need a bone marrow transplant (hopefully not) which could save her life.

Organ donors save lives.

Therefore, organ donation is a good thing.

Who gives a hoot whether or not it's an opt in/opt out enrollment.

Also, onematch is wicked awesome. Sign up for that and you could be a hero.

Archived