Premed 101 Forums

Ortho at UBC for eastern canada graduates

I have a question for people currently in Ortho at UBC or med students there who are interested in ortho. I heard that there is a big divide between east and west, so much so that anyone from Quebec is pretty much out for UBC ortho. I was told people sometimes did electives and did not even get an interview.

Now, the evidence I have is the UBC ortho residents page, which has 1 ULaval PGY1 among all 5 years. However, that might be due to the fact nobody wants to go there first choice from Quebec. Hence the reason for my question.

Obviously I'm interested in Ortho at UBC and I'm from Quebec.

• 2 weeks later...

This is just my very limited experience but as you go through CaRMs you will find that people from western Canada tend to stay in western Canada and the same goes for eastern Canada. Especially in Ontario...most people really want to stay there. Which makes sense since the decision for residency involves a lot including proximity to roots/family.

One thing I would probably recognize and pay attention to is that your best chances of matching to Ortho are probably at your home institution. So, if you have a chance to do an away elective...I would do it since convincing people you want to stay is easier then convincing people you want to move to where they are.

Good luck.

• 2 months later...
I have a question for people currently in Ortho at UBC or med students there who are interested in ortho. I heard that there is a big divide between east and west, so much so that anyone from Quebec is pretty much out for UBC ortho. I was told people sometimes did electives and did not even get an interview.

Now, the evidence I have is the UBC ortho residents page, which has 1 ULaval PGY1 among all 5 years. However, that might be due to the fact nobody wants to go there first choice from Quebec. Hence the reason for my question.

Obviously I'm interested in Ortho at UBC and I'm from Quebec.

Get out here and show people you are interested. Lots of people from the East come out West just so that their CV electives show they are "willing" to go anywhere. But you can clearly state your intentions.

I did that, and I made it out West from the East.

This is just my very limited experience but as you go through CaRMs you will find that people from western Canada tend to stay in western Canada and the same goes for eastern Canada. Especially in Ontario...most people really want to stay there. Which makes sense since the decision for residency involves a lot including proximity to roots/family.

One thing I would probably recognize and pay attention to is that your best chances of matching to Ortho are probably at your home institution. So, if you have a chance to do an away elective...I would do it since convincing people you want to stay is easier then convincing people you want to move to where they are.

Good luck.

I'm confused. Why would your best chance of matching into ortho be at your home institution?

I'm confused. Why would your best chance of matching into ortho be at your home institution?

Because your best chance to match into anything is at your home institution (easier to get at home electives, easier to get to know people there, research projects with people from your home institution etc ).

Archived