Premed 101 Forums

Interview en Francais?

Guest chenzy

Guest chenzy

Hi All,

I applied to NOSM as a Francophone applicant from Alberta. I was told earlier in the admissions process that my French language abilities would be assessed at the interview. However, I have not received any further information as to how I will be assessed (ie oral exam, essay...). Does anyone have any insight into this?

thanks

Guest opiedog

I had heard mention at one time about being given a writing session, with an essay style response. I may have heard that at the pre-application information session that they held.

And this is posted on the http://www.normed.ca website under admissions and faqs:

What are the criteria for the designation of Francophone for the admissions process?

Anyone choosing the designation of Francophone, for the purposes of the admissions process, on the application form must be fluent in spoken and written French. Applicants must meet one of the following criteria:

One parent is Francophone and applicant attended at least 6 years of French school (not immersion).

Applicant has a diploma from a French secondary school.

Applicant can demonstrate use of French in daily activities and/or a connection to a Francophone community.

Those applicants who have chosen the designation of Francophone on the application form and who are offered an interview will be interviewed in English in the same interview process that all candidates will undergo. In addition to this interview process, Francophone candidates will be required to attend an interview in French and to write a short essay in French at the interview site.

Applicants are reminded that the language of instruction and assessment for the School is English. However, there will be opportunities for clinical placements with French-speaking clinicians in French-speaking communities in Northern Ontario. Other opportunities for learning in the French language will include the availability of educational resources, self-directed groups and electives.

Guest NurseNathalie

Merci for la réponse! lol

wow.. I didn't realize we were going to have to do a written essay onsite until I saw your posting !

better start reading my Bescherelle again! lol 8o

any idea if this extra interview station/essay question in french will only be used to determine whether or not we get the francophone designation.. or will the content of the answer itself will be used to weigh our admissibility ???

yikes!

Guest opiedog

I was of the understanding that the added essay was to evaluate your suitability/fluency level for studying en Francaise, as per your application request. If you don't make the accepted level of fluency, whether or not they push you to the English stream is not clear.

You might want to check with the school on this one.

Guest NurseNathalie

thanks for the response.. I think I might just do that :)

as far as the 'English' stream.. well, there isn't a 'Francophone' stream anyways... so, I assume the process is probably to determine if you are indeed fluent enough to be considered francophone.

There are two preferred seats for Aboriginal applicants, but none for Francophones... I beleive they said though, that being Francophone would give you a 'bonus' point when looking at the overall picture and what you have to bring to the program (ie: aboriginal ancestry; growing up in rural/remote community; living in Northern Ontario; GPA; ABS answers, etc...)

well.. at least, that's my understanding .. but I'm not sure how much 'weight' each gives to the overall big picture...

Guest coleflower

I asked the admissions office this question earlier:

NOSM does not have a french "stream". Their reasoning behind the extra interview and essay is to determine your level of competency in practicing in a francophone community later on.

Although there are no spots "designated" francophone, they said that francophone applicants will be given bonus points when the files are evaluated (to pick the lucky 56)

As to the when and where of the extra interview/essay, I hope they throw that in with the location of the first interview, whenever that might arrive....

Good luck

Archived