Premed 101 Forums

Neurosurgical Research at the UOFA?

LETSDOTHIS!

Wow, I have spent the past few days just scouring research websites for biomedical engineering (BME) research in Edmonton... I've found some stuff, notably Dr.V's spinal cord rehabilitation research... but despite picking UofA over UofC because I wanted to be involved in research and finish in 4 years... turns out Calgary is slapping Edmonton around in the field of biomedical engineering and robotics in medicine.

I must admit that I am looking for something quite specific (biomedical engineering research assistant postings in the neurosurgical field), but I have not even been able to find webpages outlining the ongoing neurosurgical research in Edmonton... is this seriously non-existent? Does anyone know where I should be looking to find research projects at the UofA?

Thanks for any help provided.

Not sure if you have done this already...

Profs are not good at 'posting' jobs, they tend to let students and employees come to them (except where techs are unionized and then they have to post). What I would do is go to the neurology website for U of A (or surgery too) and then search for the faculty names +Alberta on pubmed, ten minutes of screening the names and reading the titles of their papers will give you a good idea of what they are working on. Maybe when you go through them you will see they are doing the type of work you are interested in.

Also, don't forget to check the other authors on their papers... You might find a biochem or eng prof that does your kind of work that way. Searching pubmed will also limit you to productive profs (ie those who publish). Another word of advice: the final author is the one who runs the lab and the first author is usually the senior student or junior faculty who does the work. If you find something you like, contacting the final author of the studies would be the first place to start. Profs who only publish as middle authors are often not researchers but support the research peripherally. Best of luck finding a position!

Archived