Premed 101 Forums

Pros and Cons of the McGill Med School Program

Guest Oldpremed

Guest Oldpremed

What do you love about McGill, what do you not love? What type of instruction is utilized? What is Anatomy like? Any opinions would be appreciated. PS How do they look upon older students?

Gina.0]

Guest barkthedog

McGill is a pretty good school overall. I'd say the best thing about it is the group of people in your class... they tend to come from a variety of backgrounds (french, english, international, pre-med, undergrad, and yes, a few "older" students!) and for the most part, I think everyone gets along pretty well. I know there are people at McGill who have done degrees in arts or fields unrelated to medicine or science, and there are people who have been working in other professions for ten or twenty years who have come back to do med school - so getting in as an older student is definitely doable.

The curriculum was recently changed for incoming students. You do a year-and-a-half of classes, small groups, anatomy and histo labs, etc. Then you get an intro to clinical medicine for 6 months, and then two years of clinical rotations. I didn't think I'd enjoy anatomy when I first started, but I actually really liked it, especially the units when they kind of just let you go into the lab on your own schedule and ask questions rather than have formal teaching.

The worst part of the first year is having to prepare for and sit through an infinite number of small groups. Once you start the clinical stuff, it can take up a lot of time, but it kind of flies by. Everyone has a different opinion on what parts of medicine they like best, which hospitals are good to work at for what, etc.

• 1 year later...

Archived