Premed 101 Forums

Anyone feel the same? Any similar situations ending in success?

So this is the year I'll be applying, I'm finally eligible and like most-hopeful. Unfortunately I've done my degree in less than 2 years, making me only eligible for Mac. My GPA will be anywhere from 3.78-3.84 depending on the marks from 2 of my last classes (I'll know in 2 wks). Lot's of experience, EC's, as well as volunteer experiences. My only worry is my age. I'm in my late 30's (hopefully, you wouldn't know it to see me), but that is what is getting me down. I wish I could have done this earlier but honestly, financially, I couldn't. Is there anyone in Ontario who was accepted this year in my age range? Anyone applying this cycle who is my age? It would be nice to hear that I'm not alone. Age is something that just seems to "happen" before you know it! Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply.

I feel the same! I'm in my early thirties and I wish I had started this process earlier. When I read about people who are in their twenties who worry that they are too old, I'm wistful about my life at that age.

Today I had a stressful conversation with a coworker who was telling me how expensive it was to attend professional schools now. (He doesn't know about my plans to change careers). I started getting worried about how much I would have to pay for my tuition and whether I would have to move. I have savings, but they were meant for my retirement and I don't want them to be sucked dry. Anybody have these worries? Anybody know what people who go back to school end up doing? Are they taking OSAP loans or loans from a bank?....

Wow! There is hope! I can feel my spirits lifting somewhat. Congrats Para D! By the way, I was able to complete my degree in less than 2 years because I was in a degree completion program. As far as concerns of affordability, I have learned that if you want to do something-you'll somehow get by. Mind you I worked full-time, but there are many options if you get accepted. Banks, credit unions etc...will be more than happy to lend you a professional LOC. There is also OSAP, bursaries etc. Thanks for the replies-it's kinda nice to know that you're not alone!

I feel the same! I'm in my early thirties and I wish I had started this process earlier. When I read about people who are in their twenties who worry that they are too old, I'm wistful about my life at that age.

Today I had a stressful conversation with a coworker who was telling me how expensive it was to attend professional schools now. (He doesn't know about my plans to change careers). I started getting worried about how much I would have to pay for my tuition and whether I would have to move. I have savings, but they were meant for my retirement and I don't want them to be sucked dry. Anybody have these worries? Anybody know what people who go back to school end up doing? Are they taking OSAP loans or loans from a bank?....

Well here's my info...

Currently 35 and heading back for a second degree this fall in the pursuit of meds. Have made very good money during the past 12 years in my career but have come to truly dislike what i do and the industry I serve. Mainly helping the rich get richer.

I have or so i think we have (lol) enough cash stockpiled away to put my through a second UG and 4 years of medical school without me needing to draw a salary. We can for the most part live comfortably on my partner's income.

So while we're not depleting out entire savings for me to do this we are depletimg a significant chunk and i dont worry about that at all. Nor if we for some reason needed to go into debt to further finance it i wont worry about that either. I know i'll be able to pay back that savings over the longterm of my career in medicine despite the fact i'll have a significantly shortened career compared to those in their mid-to-late 20's. And, it'll be something i'll enjoy and more importantly... Believe in.

Not sure if that helps but perhaps offers a comparitive experience for you?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your input, aaronjw. In my case, I would not be sharing expenses with a partner. I'm anxious at the idea of taking money out of my RRSPs. I might have enough to pay for one year without doing that, but beyond that, eee! I hear you about the longterm view of things though. A part of me does think, "But what if something goes wrong and I can't finish?" (life happens). But I will take it step by step.

No need to feel old!!

I'm 30 and starting my Med-P year this fall after doing my undergrad, masters and 2 years of phd in computer science :D I often wonder why I didn't do this years and years ago, but the truth is I just wasn't ready yet, I hadn't grown enough to realize I wanted to do med in the first place!! Whatever the reason, life often leads us in strange paths, but everything usually turns out as it should in the end.

So true! Life sure does take us where we never thought we would go sometimes. I'm still worried though as I have not yet heard of anyone gaining admission who is close to my age (let's just say VERY close to 40). I know many people ~36 who have done it but I suppose there is always hope. Mabey I'll see something positive when the Mac stats are published for this year's intake. Last year, no one 37 or above was admitted (of course that could mean that this particular age group did not apply or qualify).

DO NOT take money out of RRSPs for school!!! I can't emphasize that enough. If you are under 65 and dip into your RRSPs for anything aside from purchasing a home, you are taxed automatically at 50%. In other words, you go to pull $10k out, the government keeps half. You only get $5k. If you can at all help it, do not use RRSPs.

DO NOT take money out of RRSPs for school!!! I can't emphasize that enough. If you are under 65 and dip into your RRSPs for anything aside from purchasing a home, you are taxed automatically at 50%. In other words, you go to pull $10k out, the government keeps half. You only get $5k. If you can at all help it, do not use RRSPs.

That is incorrect.

Through the 'lifelong learning' program (chck it out on the federal government's CRA web site) you CAN in fact, take money out of your RRSPs for university without being taxed.

You can take out 10k per year, tax-free, as long as you (or your spouse) is a full-time student.

It is called 'lifelong learning' and you will NOT be taxed.

I see quite a number of old foggies giving it a shot for the second time. Turning 31 this August, did my 1st degree at Western, worked as a data analyst for pharm company for 4 years, came back to school and finished 2nd degree at York this spring, and now deciding wether to shoot for med or dentistry this coming Sept. Savings all gone, can't tap into my retirement fund, which I started at old company b/c I'm not 55 yet:), but making some money through scholarships, NSERC's, and daytrading.

Lesson learned from all these fiasco? 'you gotta do what you gotta do!'

• 1 month later...

I figured this thread would enjoy these articles. I find the second article on the former CEO of radioshack going in after 50 as quite interesting!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/health-facts-and-arguments/i-quit-my-job-to-go-to-med-school/article2104050/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/pursuing-a-dream-after-corporate-life/article1410957/page1/

I figured this thread would enjoy these articles. I find the second article on the former CEO of radioshack going in after 50 as quite interesting!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/health-facts-and-arguments/i-quit-my-job-to-go-to-med-school/article2104050/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/pursuing-a-dream-after-corporate-life/article1410957/page1/

YES. Now I remember - it was the CEO of Radio Shack who got in after 50 into Mac Med. Thanks for the brain jolter, now I can actually cite this on the forums.

• 2 weeks later...
So true! Life sure does take us where we never thought we would go sometimes. I'm still worried though as I have not yet heard of anyone gaining admission who is close to my age (let's just say VERY close to 40). I know many people ~36 who have done it but I suppose there is always hope. Mabey I'll see something positive when the Mac stats are published for this year's intake. Last year, no one 37 or above was admitted (of course that could mean that this particular age group did not apply or qualify).

NOSM admitted someone who was 51 years of age a couple years back and I have met two 40+ year old 1st year med students coming through our clinics from NOSM.

Cant speak for Mac.

Beef

A guy who worked for the same company I used to work for (I did not know him personally) gained admission at medical school two or three years ago. He had to have been 40 (maybe a year or two older). I think it was Ottawa (but it could have been Ottawa or UofT). When I went to an interview last March I met a couple medical students who must have been mid - late thirties.

i don't think i would have applied any earlier than now, because it wasn't until i started nursing that i thought about medicine. and so now i am mid 40's and proud of it!

Your enthusiam inspires me! May I ask where you're at in this process? i.e applying, enrolled.......

Archived