Premed 101 Forums

reference letter - signature???

hey everyone,

just wondering what the rules are about reference letters that are on an official letterhead but don't have a signature --- one of my references who's know me for years and will write a great letter is ready to up load the letter but emailed asking if since she doesn't have any access to a scanner and therefore can't sign it if it's even worth using her letter?

I know it says everywhere that "Some schools may require ...." so does that mean that I just shouldn't use her letter on the schools the officially say on their website need a official letterhead AND signature. I've definitely noticed a number of schools that don't give a preference and some that specifically say official letterhead but nothing about signature - I have only come across a few out of the ones I'm considering that actually say 'signature'

any suggestions??

Thanks

do you say "gonna need a signature" meaning that the school will contact me saying to get a different version of the letter?

i guess maybe i just won't use her letter cus there's no way she has access to a scanner b/c she's over travelling in europe and even though she has her laptop I'm don't think it's fair to make her seek out a scanner vs. just use the letterhead and sign it with her name and contact info and see what happens if I decide to use it for a couple schools

Oh that sucks. :(

I think most would require a signature in order to considered official. If her reference letter is really really SUPER awesome, then maybe you could try attaching a small note explaining briefly your (or your reference's) situation and why there's no signature, and that they could contact her to confirm the details of the letter?

Not sure if that'll work. Hope everything will work out!

do you say "gonna need a signature" meaning that the school will contact me saying to get a different version of the letter?

i guess maybe i just won't use her letter cus there's no way she has access to a scanner b/c she's over travelling in europe and even though she has her laptop I'm don't think it's fair to make her seek out a scanner vs. just use the letterhead and sign it with her name and contact info and see what happens if I decide to use it for a couple schools

OK, in that case, just submit it, some schools will DEFINITELY contact you for official documents (BU comes to mind), but some may not and if it's on letterhead it might be OK.

Gluck.

jawn doe .. someone already contacted you this year about it ?? also how did you go about fixing it like how did sending him/her the scanned pdf solve the signature issue?

My prof couldn't figure out how to scan a document into pdf, so he gave me the letter signed with the letterhead and I scanned it for him and emailed it to him. He should be submitting it again soon and AMCAS will just append it to his other letter which should satisfy MCW

• 4 weeks later...

so now on the NYMC secondary application they say that along with all letters having to have the signature and the letterhead that they also need our AMCAS ID number written on them??

Does that mean that I have to contact all my references again and ask them if they included my AMCAS ID # and if not to upload a new version of the letter?

Any thoughts on how important the ID number is on the actual letter?

Thanks for your help

I think if AMCAS has received them, you should be fine. If NYMC does not complete your file or sends you an e-mail regarding your letters, then you may have to add the ID. In that case though, I would send an e-mail to NYMC trying to woo them in to just writing the number with their measly hands themselves.

so now on the NYMC secondary application they say that along with all letters having to have the signature and the letterhead that they also need our AMCAS ID number written on them??

Does that mean that I have to contact all my references again and ask them if they included my AMCAS ID # and if not to upload a new version of the letter?

Any thoughts on how important the ID number is on the actual letter?

Thanks for your help

Archived