Premed 101 Forums

Applying to McGill from US (but as a Canadian citizen)

Guest nterval

Guest nterval

I heard McGill was a good school for international applicants to apply to. I am a Canadian citizen getting my BA in literature and Pre-medical studies in the U.S... I supposed I have a couple questions...

How is McGill about non-science majors? U.S. Medical schools usually pay more attention to non-science majors with high GPA's/MCAT's.

I read a topic for GPA at McGill that an 85+ was an A --- WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our grading scale here is 93-100 is an A... Is this going to work in my favour at all since I'm speculating that it is harder to get an A here?

Also - I suppose they make up for that GPA curve with the MCAT's. I have read over some of the MCAT's for students accepted am shocked - 32-38's everywhere -- Here you're considered a genius if you get that. I think the avg here is 27.

Anyway... If anyone can answer any of my q's I'd appreciate it very much! Thanks

• 1 month later...
Guest docofmedicine

I'm in the same boat - Canadian but studying as premed in US. My GPA is 3.9, but should be higher once it's converted to McGill's grading scheme. but I wonder if a MCAT of 30 will cut it. Also, does anyone know about applying to McGill via early decision prgm? Is it easier to get in if one applies early?

i'd appreciate the feedback ;)

Guest mstr splinter

There's no problem applying to McGill as a Canadian studying in the US. You apply as a Quebec resident or OOP, whichever applies.

McGill doesn't care what your undergrad is in, as long as your prereqs are complete. If anything, non-science majors sometimes have a small advantage, standing out as somewhat different.

Your GPA is converted as you read, with 85+ considered as 4.0. This often works out in a non-McGill applicant's favour.

MCAT scores for successful Quebec applicants have, in the past, been below 30, but probably most have at least 30. For international and OOP applicants, the numbers are probably at least 32 or 33.

I've no clue if it's easier to get in via the early decision program. I suspect the advantage, if any, is minimal.

• 1 year later...

Archived