Premed 101 Forums

Stopped a degree a while ago.

Hi, i havnt gone to school in about 3 years. I am entering a new one as a mature student. and I have a unfinished degree from another university. Does it matter? Can i just start fresh or should am I not aloud to do this. :confused: At the University i got accepted to, you are not allowed to of done more then 1 year undergrad which i havnt also you have to of not done full time studies for 2 years. So im okay with that end. but if i finish this new degree and apply to med school will this past unfinished degree from years ago be a issue?

Hi, i havnt gone to school in about 3 years. I am entering a new one as a mature student. and I have a unfinished degree from another university. Does it matter? Can i just start fresh or should am I not aloud to do this. :confused: At the University i got accepted to, you are not allowed to of done more then 1 year undergrad which i havnt also you have to of not done full time studies for 2 years. So im okay with that end. but if i finish this new degree and apply to med school will this past unfinished degree from years ago be a issue?

hmmm as far as I know it won't matter on paper that much other than the simple fact that you still have to report all of your courses when you apply - you can have no duplicate courses still which should have been transfered over anyway, and you go from there. Now there are some specifics - always sounds like I am talking about Western lately but they really have some of the more complex rules I guess - Western will only accept courses from your new degree. If you new degree is long enough - say 4 years - then Ottawa won't be looking at your earlier degree either. Queens used and may still have a last 2 year policy but they seem to be in a bit of flux in terms of updating everyone to what they are doing (the new upcoming OMSAS manual will help with that!). We talk go into other province's rules if you like(?) :)

Someone doing a holistic style review of your app (ie Toronto, Queens, and Ottawa) might what to know why you didn't finish the first degree. It may be private of course, but if you think it will help you can let us know why you didn't and we can see what impact that might have.

Im starting my new degree at Ottawa University. my previous one was at concordia in montreal. I left because I was not focusing on school my GPA there is horrible. I was just partying every weekend so I moved back to parents and just worked for my dad's company I was in debt to, payed that off and I have a real desire now to do things right this time arround. before i just entered university because I wanted any random degree I didn't even think of med school back then. Now I have my own money not a loan! I remember years back I was 17 got loan money and just went to classes with no purpose then partied every weekend. my GPA there is horrible just passing.

Im starting my new degree at Ottawa University. my previous one was at concordia in montreal. I left because I was not focusing on school my GPA there is horrible. I was just partying every weekend so I moved back to parents and just worked for my dad's company I was in debt to, payed that off and I have a real desire now to do things right this time arround. before i just entered university because I wanted any random degree I didn't even think of med school back then. Now I have my own money not a loan! I remember years back I was 17 got loan money and just went to classes with no purpose then partied every weekend. my GPA there is horrible just passing.

ok sure, no worries - that does help frame things and it not at all uncommon to have issues in your first few years of university.

Not sure how long you were at school but your probably will be most likely be able to get into specific schools (in Ontario Western, Ottawa, and Queens) so you can really concentrate besting your chances for those schools. Those are the ones that best forgive early issues and actually wipe the slate clean. Toronto and Mac have longer term fews that get in the way, although depending on how many courses you took Toronto's wGPA may apply.

Sounds like you go things in order now, so ask any questions you have, and best of luck! :)

Thank you very much for quick replies. gives me hope that it isn't over yet. no duplicate courses? i applied as a mature student at Ottawa university I didn't even think of transferring I will go tomorrow and speak with a advisor. So it is only those 2 med schools that are more lenient with this type of thing. I will start reading more specifically about them now.

once again thank you for the information.

Thank you very much for quick replies. gives me hope that it isn't over yet. no duplicate courses? i applied as a mature student at Ottawa university I didn't even think of transferring I will go tomorrow and speak with a advisor. So it is only those 2 med schools that are more lenient with this type of thing. I will start reading more specifically about them now.

once again thank you for the information.

Yeah repeated courses are frowned on - badically they do not count so you would be wasting time. Also if you do get transfer courses it would take you less time to finish your new degree which is a solid bonus :)

Archived