Premed 101 Forums

Practice dummy?

Guest DancingDoc

Guest DancingDoc

I'm not sure what you guys call it but someone was telling that you guys have this super high tech dummy that you can actually do things to (like injections) and the dummy will react to it according to how the human body would respond (like you can even "kill" it??). Does this actually exist, and if so can someone tell me more about it???

Thanks!! :)

Guest climberchick

Hello Dancing Doc,

Yes this "dummy" does exist. And all the rumours are true, it can pretty much mimic any patient scenario, give it drugs (simulated of course, i.e. a bar coded syringe that says epinephrine) put lines in, hook it up to a ventilator... The "dummy" is contected to a massive computer system, and is programed for just about everything, and can be expanded upon. It's pretty cool. I've only breifly had a chance to see it (since I'm not a medical student yet, just a hospital employee) and I can't remember exactly what it's called. But it certainly is a step forward in medical education.

Ohh, and I believe it cost a fortune, but I'm not sure axactly how much...

~climber

Guest AhhhNice

Yeah, his name is either Hi-Me (a reference to "Get Smart") or Stan. Not quite sure. He is pretty expensive, something in the range of $100,000 to $500,000. You'll probably get to see him on your tour at your interview, he's on the first floor of the HSC. Oh, and he is apparently so realistic, that a student got carried away awhile ago and ripped off his head! They had to send the head to Florida to be fixed. The unfortunate thing is that you don't get to touch him till 3rd year. Hope this satisfies your curiosity! Cheers.

A/N

Guest clinicalchief

Hey guys, the trauma simulator SHOULD be available to see as part of your interview tour but I haven't gotten confirmation for each and every interview day yet, depending on scheduled training with the TS. (I'll be conducting the tours along with another classmate). Hopefully you will get to see it - its really cool :)

Here's a link to a brief article about the TS

cc

Guest clinicalchief

I thought I might put in a little blurb about the trauma simulator for those of you who are interested but didn't / won't get a chance to see it!

Stan is an $800 000 closest-thing-to-human you can get. He recognizes and responds to 160 drugs; he can be intubated, cardioverted and defibrillated. You can perform pericardiocentesis, thoracentesis, and tracheostomy. He has pretty much all palpable body pulses. He can be programed to have a bunch of different breath and heart sounds. Also, he blinks and breathes (O2 in CO2 out, believe it or not) and his pupils respond to light stimuli. All these aspects can be pre-programmed for whatever situation you want. You can also draw blood, start lines and fluids and I believe you can also do central lines and arterial blood draw as well. Hmm I think I got all the major things...

Recently, MUN has started training students as early as clerkship (3rd yr). Hopefully within a couple of years it will be routine! They are also working on getting a similar pediatric model.

This thing is so cool, I hope anyone interested in coming to MUN gets a chance to see it at some point!!

cc

Archived