Premed 101 Forums

double cohort

Guest J

i'm actually only in U0 this year... but i heard about the ridiculously low acceptance for OOP... and plus i'm one of the unfortunate high school double cohort graduates... anyway, will the ontario double cohort (ie elimination of OAC) cause greater competition in OOP admission? oh and can you hold double residency in ON and Qc? thanx!:P

Guest aimg1

Hi J,

Yes, you can hold double residency in ON and QC. Regarding the double cohort, I think it might be a little more competitive for Meds that year, but its hard to speculate.

aimg1

thank you so much for your answer, regarding double residency tho, do ontario med schools, like mcgill, take less oop than in province applicants? so would it be advisable to like buy a little apartment to get my quebec residency and at the same time be an ontario resident? :rollin

Guest aimg1

I think Ontario med schools make it tougher for oop students to get an interview (eg. higher cutoffs, etc). However, once you have an interview I think the playing field is pretty level. To my knowlege, ontario oop students pay the same tuition as in-province students and there are no max quotas for oop students.

aimg1

Guest lothya

Best of luck with your residency dilemma! Geting quebec residency was one of the most red-taped experiences i've ever had. Also - unless you were born in QC, it means taking a year off school and living here... McGill has a policy of accepting applicants who have taken a full courseload (5 classes) throughout their undergraduate years - which makes studying part-time inadvisable if you are getting your residency in order to apply to McGill meds...

ONLY living in QC for a year without being a part-time student counts - (unless you get married or have a baby with a resident).... Buying an apartment, paying taxes here, having a QC driver's licence or QC health care don't count.

On the brighter side, I think that ON med schools are more interested in where you lived and went to high school - if that was in ontario, it doesn't matter where you are legally a resident.

Guest byjude

Regardless of how many years you study at McGill, whether you own a house in Montreal, whatever, you're not a resident until you've lived there without studying fulltime, as lothya mentioned.

But seriously, don't worry about your Ontario residency. It's not good for much anyway. At least, not in terms of med school admissions (though I would also argue that our provincial government also seems to hate us in general, but that is another issue entirely).

Basically, the only school where an Ontario residency will help you is at McMaster. Even then, your odds of getting in are something like 30:1, and they do accept a fair number of OOPs, so I don't think it's really helpful.

Western, U of T, and Queen's give absolutely no preferential treatment regardless of where your residency is, as long as it's somewhere in Canada.

Ottawa supposedly has a lower GPA cutoff for Ontarians than for OOPs, but it's still astronomically high and the difference between the two is tiny - something like 3.83 for Ontarians VS 3.87 for OOPs; if you have a GPA that high, odds are you can also get in somewhere else as an OOP applicant. Unless you are a francophone or live in Ottawa region - in which case, the cutoffs are lower (around 3.5 for francophone, and 3.6 for Ottawanians). Or if your home address (parents?) is in an "underserviced" region in Ontario (as defined by Ottawa, and somewhat secretive) then the cutoff is 3.55.

But seriously, bottom line, if you have the opportunity to give up your Ontario residency, you're not losing out on much in terms of applying to medicine. The double cohort will put a strain on med school admissions, and it'll be even harder to get in, but the bulk of the bottleneck will occur in Ontario anyway.

It is going to be hard getting in that year, just like it was last year as well. But if you focus your energy now on keeping up your GPA, and getting involved with activities outside of school, then that's all you can do right now. Someone will have to get in, so you have lots of time right now to do your best to be one of those lucky few who beat all the odds.

THank you SO much for replying... that was definitely very helpful... so buying an apartment won't help.:lol .. i'm having a decent GPA right now... but then again, it's only U0 1st semester, so i guess it really doesnt mean anything at this pt... it's honestly SO much more competitive this year, from the university undergrad admission to grad school admission... should i still be thinking about applying to mcgill cuz the oop stats is SO gloomy...? but on the other hand, the ontario med schools are just gonna be equally as bad cuz of the cohort... the states? how do you choose what med school to apply to? and what program should you choose for U1 that will help when applying for med school? decisions decisions decisions...

• 2 years later...

Archived