Premed 101 Forums

Teach for a prep course?

What do all of you think about teaching for a prep course (in general), and teaching for a prep course while going to medical school? It's my first year at Queen's med in September, but I just had an offer to interview with Princeton Review. I can't figure out what they'll pay teachers in Canada (looks like $15-25/hr in Tucson, Arizona :P , which doesn't help me figure much out).

In my personal situation, it would be worth it if I were being paid $20CDN/hr and working about 7 hours a week. (Anything that breaks about $550 a month without committing me to more than the equivalent of 1 day/week means I can get a break on rent...).

I say "worth it," but of course I mean "worth it, unless doing this will make me fail at medical school."

What are your thoughts? Is teaching for Princeton very stressful? I've never been a professional tutor before.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just giving a cursory description of an ad I got to teach for them.

"Remuneration is $50‐$60/hour for teaching and $20‐$25/hour for prep plus very generous performance bonuses based on student evaluations.

Chemistry (September to April) ‐ $4000 (+ bonuses) for 4 X 12‐hour prep sessions for Exams"

Good to know!

This is not true.

Thanks guys! :) This is really helpful. The prep work to paid work ratio is making me consider against taking the job... Kingston's pretty small. I find it likely that I'd be teaching more than one topic.

But... rent! Hmmm.... :o

Anyway, I really appreciate your opinions.

I worked for Princeton, although this was over 5 years ago so I'm not sure what has changed. The rate at that time was something around $25/hr and from what I recall I was paid 3 hours for a 2 1/2 hour lesson. It was actually a pretty decent deal. obviously you do have to make lessons ahead of time, but it wasn't crazy. I don't think you'll fail out of med school because you're working part-time and I think you can definitely do it. Whether it is a good idea, depends on your goals financially. As long as you don't go crazy with the shoes, you do not need to work in order to make it through med school (because of your access to loans) and everyone tells us that you'll be able to pay it off eventually when you're a staff. But if limiting your debt is super important to you, you definitely are able to work during pre-clerkship.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually it is true but does not relate to this thread. The job notice cited seeks instructors for our prep courses for undergraduate tests and exams - not for our MCAT prep course. We pay more to prep instructors for undergraduate tests and exam as it is a significantly more challenging teaching assignment.

For the MCAT, we pay $50/hour for teaching and each class is offered twice - on a weeknight and on a weekend - so you prep once, teach twice. And our top instructors teach in multiple locations (e.g., some Toronto instructors teach at York, U of T, McMaster, and Guelph) so they prep once, teach several times.

We also pay $75/hour to our best instructors (including spiceandsausageburglar) to teach in other locations (e.g., a Toronto-based instructor teaching at Guelph) to make sure our students in every location get the best instructors we can make available.

The $15-$16/hour would only apply to a new instructor who preps 8 hours for a 4-hour class and teaches it only once - a very rare occurrence in my 6 years of running our MCAT prep course.

I'm just giving a cursory description of an ad I got to teach for them.

"Remuneration is $50‐$60/hour for teaching and $20‐$25/hour for prep plus very generous performance bonuses based on student evaluations.

Chemistry (September to April) ‐ $4000 (+ bonuses) for 4 X 12‐hour prep sessions for Exams"

Good to know!

I have taught for TPR for two summers and this is how mine is structured. You get paid $23/hr but also get paid for prep at minimum wage. For the first time I taught the biology section, each lesson is 2.5 hrs and I prepped for probably about 6 hours my first time. The next time you teach you don't get paid for prep.

Hope this helps.

Archived