Premed 101 Forums

UofT Personal Essay

You want your essay to highlight the most important aspects of your application i.e what were the big 5 reasons that convinced you to pursue medicine. You can try and expand on some of 48 items from your list but try and avoid being redundant. When you get interviewed, they will look at both and you should know them both really well. There has to be a good reason why something deserves to be in your application to 'medical school' so you have to learn to be selective.

That's a great point. I think, looking back, I have subconsciously followed your advice, so thankfully, I won't need to edit out too much.

One word of advice for your personal essay, include things that you would like to talk about during your interview. Ive had two UofT interviews and both times they asked me to elaborate on the activities or stories that were in my statement. So include examples/activities etc. that you feel are important to you as a person.

One word of advice for your personal essay, include things that you would like to talk about during your interview. Ive had two UofT interviews and both times they asked me to elaborate on the activities or stories that were in my statement. So include examples/activities etc. that you feel are important to you as a person.

This is a great point. I've mentioned about a childhood experience in a sentence as part of the intro and it was asked during the interview, which surprised me because I didn't think that experience was a big deal and I only included it to make the intro more coherent.

Archived