Premed 101 Forums

Need help coming up with TAS for this prompt

frozenarbitor

Social justice can occur only when people accept the equality of others.

Describe a specific situation in which social justice might occur without people accepting the equality of others. Discuss what you think determines whether or not social justice can occur only when people accept the equality of others.

Does anyone have an idea for the thesis, antithesis, and synthesis for this one?

Answer is dependent on what you define to be social justice; most prompts are so open ended that you can define a lot of the things however you like. Depending on the def, you can say democracy, the American Revolution, or any other famous revolution that brought colossal change. Counter would be a just king for example Marcus Aurelius.

Generally, the best way to prepare for writing is to sit with friends and come up with examples for thesis, anti- and come up with a synthesis.

Describe a specific situation in which social justice might occur without people accepting the equality of others. Discuss what you think determines whether or not social justice can occur only when people accept the equality of others.

Does anyone have an idea for the thesis, antithesis, and synthesis for this one?

Doesn't this go on every time we allocate resources to a special group? Quotas for minorities, funding for the disabled...?

Social justice means treating everyone equal and giving them the equal rights and freedoms.

If the goals is for people with differences to live together within a society, it is important that people accept equality of others in order for social justice to be served. For example, in Canada - we live in a multicultural society with others that have come from different parts of the world. The only way that all Canadian citizens can be treated equally and given the equal rights and freedoms as stated in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, it is important for people to accept that everyone is equal, regardless of where they come from, their religion etc etc etc.

If the goal doesn't entail that individuals with social and cultural differences live together in given society, social justice within a nation can still be served without people accepting the equality of others. For example, in the early 1900's, there was a British rule over India and the Britisher did not think that Indians were equal to them in any respect. In 1947, social justice was served when the Britishers left India. It is important to note that they left as a result of protests by Indian citizens and not because they thought that Indians were equal to them and thus, should be given the freedom and independence. Here the goal was not that Britishers and Indians live together but rather that the Britishers leave India, so social justice was made possible without the Britishers accepting the equality of Indian citizens to themselves.

This is my brief response for this prompt.

I usually start by coming up with the synthesis and then work backwards. So my definitions support my final conclusions.

My synthesis would be economic equality versus basic human rights (basic rights and freedoms that all people are entitled to). There is a long list of these and a few examples wouldn’t hurt. Equality then is framed as including both economic equality and human rights. Social justice depends only on accepting the human rights aspect of equality and not economic equality (even though equality may include both, as you’ve defined it). You can come up with examples for both. For instance, the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms does not guarantee economic equality only basic human rights.

This may not be the best way, but I find the trick is to pick a synthesis that allows you to neatly pile the argument into one category or the other. This prompt depends heavily on your definitions, which can be ambiguous, but at the same time kind of nice because you can fill in the blanks however you want. As soon as you’ve got a decent synthesis then you can bend the definition of the statement to suite your own purpose.

Archived