Premed 101 Forums

Man Claims 300k House For 16 Dollars!

Nobodycirclesthewagons

This doesn't make sense... if the mortgage company went bankrupt, all its assets (including that house) are given to its creditors. Must have been a one in a million circumstance for something like this to happen.

Seems like the neighbours are just racist IMO.

racist implies a quality is implicit to someones race, race and culture are often co-correlated (i.e. most people in the "philipinio" culture are philipino), so it's not really racist, as he's saying that most inhabitants of texas are probably racist... you can extrapolate that most inhabitants are white, but that's not the causal factor he's trying to emply, if anything it would "demographist", if that were a word... sorry, not trying to be a douche, i just hate how everyone throws around the term racist... like if i were to say a lot of natives are drunk it would be considered racist but its just that more natives live within a social demographic environment where people are more likely to develop drinking problems

In all fairness, that in itself could be construed as kind of racist.

Not that I disagree.

i'd be pretty jealous... working like a dog to pay off the mortgage while the ****er next door just moves right in, lol!

Word.

In addition, I think that the neighbors would be as jealous if a man of any other race got that house for 16 bucks.

racist implies a quality is implicit to someones race, race and culture are often co-correlated (i.e. most people in the "philipinio" culture are philipino), so it's not really racist, as he's saying that most inhabitants of texas are probably racist... you can extrapolate that most inhabitants are white, but that's not the causal factor he's trying to emply, if anything it would "demographist", if that were a word... sorry, not trying to be a douche, i just hate how everyone throws around the term racist... like if i were to say a lot of natives are drunk it would be considered racist but its just that more natives live within a social demographic environment where people are more likely to develop drinking problems

I think you're splitting hairs. I'd have been more accurate to say "prejudiced" and still more accurate to say "prejudiced based on cultural demographics", but I claim poetic license: it would have had nowhere near the same verbal flow as reusing the word I was replying to, yet the meaning would have been essentially the same with only a minor nuance altered.

haha, fair enough, i was n't trying to be a douche, i'm pretty sure i knew what you specifically were getting at stylistically since i've read a lot of your posts, it's just that i hear everyone say throw around that this or that is racist (i.e. chinese students tend to work harder in school etc.) and it's a pet peeve of mine

I think you're splitting hairs. I'd have been more accurate to say "prejudiced" and still more accurate to say "prejudiced based on cultural demographics", but I claim poetic license: it would have had nowhere near the same verbal flow as reusing the word I was replying to, yet the meaning would have been essentially the same with only a minor nuance altered.

haha, fair enough, i was n't trying to be a douche, i'm pretty sure i knew what you specifically were getting at stylistically since i've read a lot of your posts, it's just that i hear everyone say throw around that this or that is racist (i.e. chinese students tend to work harder in school etc.) and it's a pet peeve of mine

Don't worry, I knew you weren't bein' a douche. I do agree that the term gets thrown around a bit, but I'm not against it being used somewhat as a blanket term for various prejudice 'ism's, even if it's technically inaccurate. It's calling things that aren't particularly prejudiced "racist" or "sexist" that ticks me off.

Archived