Premed 101 Forums

Reviews?

Handsome88

From what I've seen from the other side of the fence, publishing a review paper will help a medical student or even a resident as long as the field published in is at least peripherally related to the residency/job they are applying for. For all general intents and purposes a review paper counts as research even though it isn't technically a 'research project'.

I would think of it this way: if three people were applying for a residency and were exactly similar in every way but research... the person with the relevant (to the specialty) research study published would probably be ranked above the person with the relevant review paper published (you), but you would probably be ranked above the person who has done a research project but it isn't published.

For writing a review paper, the 'impressive' level in my head is about a 6/10. If it is just you and a PI writing it, 7/10. If it is in a well known journal in that field, 8/10. The scale here being an image of the month 1/10; a case report 4/10; a case series 7/10; a full on research study 8/10; an RCT 10/10.

I also can't resist adding that it is an enjoyable mental exercise that many find rewarding (but I am a total Big Bang Theory-level nerd)!

What if research paper I want to publish is unrelated to meds (in my case environmental sciences) but I really like the topic and am working under an awesome PI?

Will it look like I'm "publishing for the sake of publishing" or is it still a good idea?

If you're in undergrad, any publication is good. Anyone who has done a research project should be aware of how much work and motivation is necessary to bring a paper to fruition. It's not "publishing for the sake of publishing" unless you're not interested in what you're studying.

Also, there seem to have been a few questions recently about research unrelated to medicine. Yes, absolutely, it is still valuable.. once in, everyone has the same medical background, but it's these areas of outside expertise that will make you the 'go-to' person when your colleagues have questions about computer programming, statistics, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

totally! i'm acknowledged in some papers in animal psychology research (i only now realize that i got ripped off, i should have gotten third authorship... but i guess some people will rip you off sometimes if they can, lol :P)...

it shows you're multi-disciplinary and like the above poster said, good at stats (which is a rare skill believe it or not, and people in stuff like ecology, enviro science like yourself, psych (less concrete fields) are usually solid at it), research analysis/design and critical thinking.

What if research paper I want to publish is unrelated to meds (in my case environmental sciences) but I really like the topic and am working under an awesome PI?

Will it look like I'm "publishing for the sake of publishing" or is it still a good idea?

Archived