Premed 101 Forums

I was wondering if some of the upper year students could comment on the OMSW (Ontario Medical School Weekend) taking place this October in Sudbury. Is this a worthwhile event to attend? Will we receive any information about it from the University? The website has no information posted yet.

http://www.omsw.ca/

Thank-you.

It's a pretty fun event. I went both years (first at Queen's, then at Western).

During the day, there are practical workshops and interesting talks.

At night, you party hard.

OMSW is organized entirely by the host school each year. I'm not sure what NOSM is planning.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Osmosis, I organized the O week last year so I can only comment on what was done then. O week at uOttawa is said to be the best in the country as its 10-11 days long of events, outings, parties, barnights, faculty events, class events, etc.

It includes events for all types of ppl: some loud crazy events are country night, boat cruise, toga tour, formal, retro night while some fun, orientation events are med olympics, walking/bike tours of ottawa, health tour, waterpark or beach day, laser tag, etc. As you can see, there is always something for everyone!

The attendance is HUGE. Every year 98-100% of the 1st years participate and ~80% of the second years are O week leaders.

The O week is put on by the Aesculapian Society (uOttawas med student council) and there are tons of events to orient the new students to one another, the upper year students, the faculty, the campus and of course the city!

Its a must to participate in, even if you cant make all the events, its by far ppls best moments and memories from preclerkship and a great way to meet ppl and feel comfortable with your new class and school :)

have fun!!!

I was wondering if some of the upper year students could comment on the OMSW (Ontario Medical School Weekend) taking place this October in Sudbury. Is this a worthwhile event to attend? Will we receive any information about it from the University? The website has no information posted yet.

http://www.omsw.ca/

Thank-you.

That will be coming soon - I am the webmaster for the site :)

And yes you will get tons of data shortly on that

It's a pretty fun event. I went both years (first at Queen's, then at Western).

During the day, there are practical workshops and interesting talks.

At night, you party hard.

OMSW is organized entirely by the host school each year. I'm not sure what NOSM is planning.

Awesome, awesome things :)

Hi Osmosis, I organized the O week last year so I can only comment on what was done then. O week at uOttawa is said to be the best in the country as its 10-11 days long of events, outings, parties, barnights, faculty events, class events, etc.

It includes events for all types of ppl: some loud crazy events are country night, boat cruise, toga tour, formal, retro night while some fun, orientation events are med olympics, walking/bike tours of ottawa, health tour, waterpark or beach day, laser tag, etc. As you can see, there is always something for everyone!

The attendance is HUGE. Every year 98-100% of the 1st years participate and ~80% of the second years are O week leaders.

The O week is put on by the Aesculapian Society (uOttawas med student council) and there are tons of events to orient the new students to one another, the upper year students, the faculty, the campus and of course the city!

Its a must to participate in, even if you cant make all the events, its by far ppls best moments and memories from preclerkship and a great way to meet ppl and feel comfortable with your new class and school :)

have fun!!!

wow, uOttawa's o-week is the best in the country? that's amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add on to what FABS wrote, O-week this year is 10 days long and will be amazing. Chantal has just sent out a tentative schedule of events so that you can start preparing costumes and get pumped! Our O-week website will be launched later in August with more information about each of the events. Feel free to PM me with any other questions.

Archived