Premed 101 Forums

Where to take prereq courses in Toronto?

Hi all,

I'm a non-trad applicant who is going to be applying to medical school next year. I have to complete some prereqs that I didn't have a chance to take during my degree - or rather, I took some, but they are 'too engineering' to fully count. I'm looking for suggestions on where to take these courses in Toronto, while I'm working full time. I know Ryerson has some night courses, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with taking those as med school prerequisites? Any other suggestions for where to take orgo and bio courses as a non-degree student?

Thank you for any ideas!

Thanks for the suggestions. I did look into Athabasca but I was wary of handling the lab component of orgo. I'll probably go with Ryerson and use Athabasca for courses without labs.

Out of curiosity, where did you do your engineering degree? Did you find it extremely difficult to maintain a high GPA in a full course load?

Out of curiosity, where did you do your engineering degree? Did you find it extremely difficult to maintain a high GPA in a full course load?

U of T. Yes, I did find it difficult to maintain a high GPA, but it got a lot easier from 3rd/4th year on - maybe because the work got more interesting. Mostly I'm just kicking myself for not getting my act together in first year (I didn't know I wanted to apply to med school then, and I had bad grades), but thankfully some med schools are flexible about not counting lowest/oldest grades.

Are you in engineering as well?

U of T. Yes, I did find it difficult to maintain a high GPA, but it got a lot easier from 3rd/4th year on - maybe because the work got more interesting. Mostly I'm just kicking myself for not getting my act together in first year (I didn't know I wanted to apply to med school then, and I had bad grades), but thankfully some med schools are flexible about not counting lowest/oldest grades.

Are you in engineering as well?

Nope I'm not in engineering, but I am going back for a second undergrad next year and am just exploring all my options. I find engineering interesting but I've kind of shut it out because I always hear that it is next to impossible to maintain a high GPA:confused:

At least you figured it out by 3rd year! I didn't figure it out until after my degree was done, hence going back for another one! *sigh*

It's definitely not impossible, and if you're interested in it, don't let the perceived difficulty scare you away! It can be tough, but I think engineering goes quite nicely with medicine - there's a very similar problem-solving, critical thinking mindset. Maybe that's why you see a fair number of engineers going into medicine. Plus, it's a very rewarding profession in itself. :)

Yes, I did figure out my interest in medicine somewhat late in the game, but hey, it's a long life. :D Plenty of time to squeeze everything in.

If you want to keep the option of applying to American schools open, then you may want to complete your prereqs via classroom courses instead of online courses, because many American schools do not accept online courses as a fulfilling their prerequisite requirement.

If you want to keep the option of applying to American schools open, then you may want to complete your prereqs via classroom courses instead of online courses, because many American schools do not accept online courses as a fulfilling their prerequisite requirement.

Thanks! I think I'm going to stick with classroom courses precisely for that reason.

Archived