Premed 101 Forums

Med Advice

We all know the med application process is stressful and time consuming. I have been there and done that, being accepted to several schools across the country and would love to share some of my knowledge with fellow peers for the next 3-4 weeks. If anyone is interested, I am open to holding one on one sessions in the greater toronto area for a small fee (help cover gas money pretty much). This can be in regards to application advice, a critque of one's chances at different schools, some interview prep advice, etc

This is what we do here now for free on the public forum and by PM.

In the spirit of what this forum is all about, why not offer your services for free - w/o the necessity of requiring gas money et al. and join in with the rest of us who simply help others move forward without monetary exchange?

If you are so inclined, then jump rightin and help others here like the rest of us. :P

In the spirit of what this forum is all about, why not offer your services for free - w/o the necessity of requiring gas money et al. and join in with the rest of us who simply help others move forward without monetary exchange?

If you are so inclined, then jump rightin and help others here like the rest of us. :P

it will be easier too, for people; as a lot of people would probably want to come, but not ALL of them can come.

Also for the OP, can you give us a small background of yourself ( when and where you applied maybe, your undergrad, what year you applied).

I completely agree with this.

Things that worry me about your post is if you want people to pay for your services in order to cover gas fee then why not just give it free online. it saves everyone time and money + saving environment.

More importantly, I hope your not a med student because I would never have thought that any med student would have stooped so low to give out advice in exchange for money and advertise it on forums where students are expected to help one another...

I don't think this is entirely fair. Countless people pay for MCAT tutors, why is it amoral for someone to ask for a small fee for in-person interview tips and practice?

Sure advice can be given free online but, in my experience, nothing matches live help. That being said, people should take advantage of services available to them at no extra charge including career services at their respective universities. If OP claims that the fees are for gas then I think they deserve the benefit of the doubt. Personal attacks at this point are out of line.

Now now guys, he said it was for gas fees. Maybe he's driving down from Aurora to TO, and I'm not really that well off myself so I do try to cover half of it when I tutor some of my high school students - even med students are still students ;). Let's give him a chance to see what he can do during the session and then maybe offer some feedback.

I completely agree with this.

Things that worry me about your post is if you want people to pay for your services in order to cover gas fee then why not just give it free online. it saves everyone time and money + saving environment.

More importantly, I hope your not a med student because I would never have thought that any med student would have stooped so low to give out advice in exchange for money and advertise it on forums where students are expected to help one another...

Why is it so "low" to ask for a very little amount of money in exchange for a meeting? Whether or not it is worth it, with so much free advice online is another question - but I'm sure many students wouldn't mind paying a few dollars to be able to sit down with someone who has (supposedly) been accepted to several schools and is willing to give tips/advice. There is certainly a difference sitting down with somebody, in person, one-on-one, and conversing, practicing, etc vs. going back and forth via pm, or even skype. Besides, how is it different than those companies that charge a ton of money to review your application, or for mock interviews, etc.

I don't know this person at all, and am not endorsing them or even saying they are knowledgeable on the process... just saying that it's a bit self-righteous to say that it is stooping so low to offer advice in a one-on-one setting for 10 or 20 dollars, just because they are a med student and should be a saint i guess

Why is it so "low" to ask for a very little amount of money in exchange for a meeting? Whether or not it is worth it, with so much free advice online is another question - but I'm sure many students wouldn't mind paying a few dollars to be able to sit down with someone who has (supposedly) been accepted to several schools. There is a difference sitting down with somebody, in person, one-on-one, and conversing, etc vs. going back and forth via pm, or even skype. Besides, how is it different than those companies that charge a ton of money to review your application, or for mock interviews, etc.

I don't know this person at all, and am not endorsing them or even saying they are knowledgeable on the process... just saying that i don't think it is "stooping so low" to offer advice in a one-on-one setting for 10 or 20 dollars.

Ok I may have been a bit too harsh but I think I interpreted that he was just trying to give tips, not reviewing your application or doing a mock interview (if he is, then it's worth it). But what I meant is what's the point of giving tips when you can get it free o.O And Gas money is not the best excuse to charge students lol, you might as well say that your in need of money and that's why i'm charging money for my services. Sorry I didn't mean to be offensive.

Also for the OP, can you give us a small background of yourself ( when and where you applied maybe, your undergrad, what year you applied).

The OP was happy to bump his thread but has suddenly disappeared and his silence speaks volumes in regard to avoiding answering the above!

These are legitimate questions that need to be answered.

Moreover, our collective free services are far more valuable than any paid service can provide.

The OP was happy to bump his thread but has suddenly disappeared and his silence speaks volumes in regard to avoiding answering the above!

Moreover, our collective free services are far more valuable than any paid service can provide.

:) Agreed.

The OP was happy to bump his thread but has suddenly disappeared and his silence speaks volumes in regard to avoiding answering the above! These are legitimate questions that need to be answered.

He bumped his thread in the afternoon. Some people actually have lives and don't spend all day on here.

(I am not endorsing or condemming what the OP is doing. Just making a point that the OP may not be as evil as some think.)

Yes, let's judge people based on a lack of activity for half a day.

You are annoying, future_doc. I want to make sure you know that I find you annoying.

that's really up to the customer to decide, i think if the fee is nominal it's not a big deal... believe me, the amount of money you can charge for (practically) writing personal statements and other things (applications, extra-curic descriptions, thesis's, essays etc.) for incompetent writers is through the roof, there's even people who charge you to train you how the write the mmpi so you'll come off as a completely normal person when you're probably nuts.

the guy just seems like he'd like some minor compensation, which is fair for personalized advice, i know i wouldn't drive across town and meet a random stranger to give them advice for an hour for a lot more than what his nominal probably charge is, and i've pretty much memorized all the admission guidelines and can re-write things in a very pretty way :P

I think it's cool that the OP offered to arrange sessions in person - if the OP truly did get accepted to various schools, he/she probably has a lot of experience and knowledge to share about the application process and tips/tricks to put together an awesome application for each of the schools. I don't think anything really compares to one-on-one...assuming the person answering the questions is extremely knowledgeable and can communicate the information very well. It would also save the applicant a lot of time compared to using the PM option...

I also wanted to point out, although I'm sure many are already aware, that Future_doc has been offering advice and other services for a while now, and free of charge :) We've all heard of the infamous MMI package? Anyways, thanks for your selflessness and continued commitment to providing support to those pursuing their dream!!!

Archived