Premed 101 Forums

Type of Research

Guest nwoforlife2011

Guest nwoforlife2011

Hey everyone,

I was interested in doing some undergraduate research for the upcoming fall semester, but the only volunteer position I was able to land was in the psychology department. As a science student, how would this look on my medical school application? Do adcoms really care what type of research you are doing or do they just like to see any research listed in your application? I'm sure most are gonna say it doesn't matter, but beyond confirming this I want to make sure I will not be seen as someone who could not land a science research opportunity (especially since I am a science student).

Thanks

Hey everyone,

I was interested in doing some undergraduate research for the upcoming fall semester, but the only volunteer position I was able to land was in the psychology department. As a science student, how would this look on my medical school application? Do adcoms really care what type of research you are doing or do they just like to see any research listed in your application? I'm sure most are gonna say it doesn't matter, but beyond confirming this I want to make sure I will not be seen as someone who could not land a science research opportunity (especially since I am a science student).

Thanks

No, I don't believe the adcom would believe that, and I think you should take this opportunity; maybe you can use the lab experience gained from this and get into a research in something you would want. And alot of people will tell ( read the stickies as well) Research is just that extra bit that can make you look good; but at the same time not absolutely necessary to get into medical school.

psychology isn't a science, anymore?

I'm pretty sure it is!

lol...don't say, "since I'm a science student" like psych isn't a science. I'm taking a psych course right now and the textbook's called "psychological science", there is an entire chapter dedicated to the scientific method and statistics, there are many more chapters that deal with the biology of the nervous system, endocrine system and so on.

It is an interesting science and you should be taking this opportunity to learn how to deceive people cuz it will help you in your future....

Ouch! Way to insult everyone in psychology :rolleyes:

If you are volunteering in a lab and you have no prior research experience, odds are that you're going to be doing scut work. At least in psychology you are running subjects (ie interacting with humans), as opposed to cleaning test tubes and washing the floor.

Adcoms probably care about the type of research you are doing in that doing something meaningful would look better than scut work. My guess is that area is irrelevant.

+1 to the bolded.

I am someone who has done a significant amount of research in undergrad and medical school and will continue to do research into residency (long after I "have" to do it).

My advice is: DON'T DO IT IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT.

No admissions committee requires it (unless you want to apply to an MD/PhD program). It is way more important that you spend your time doing something meaningful to you that you like and that you can excel in than it is to do research just because you think you need to. (Other EC's can just as easily get you into med school). It's so not worth it and you will regret that you wasted your time later on in life.

If you really do want to do it, then just get your feet wet. It doesn't really matter. If you don't like that project, you will probably have more opportunities as you become more senior (ie. by third year/fourth year). Learn about the research process, make friends with the grad students in your lab, make a small meagre salary. And when you actually put it on the application, know what the research is, what exactly you did, what you learned, and why it is at all important.

psychology isn't a science, anymore?

True. Try it, if you don't like it, try another area of research next year. To have a line acknowledging that you've done research on your resume and maybe a reference letter from it will put you ahead of the crowd, whatever the type of research your doing. It will probably help you get a position in a more "scientific" lab next year (whatever that's supposed to mean).

Undergrads should try different areas of research, especially if they get the opportunity to do it. It's not as if you have a clear understanding of any specific area of research yet. If you have the choice between many labs, I say choose the one you think you would like best (obviously). The point is to learn and you'll learn different things from different labs. Who knows, maybe you'll get your name on a publication from a lab you weren't too sure about initially and find that the project you're working on is actually quite cool!

In my honest opinion, any kind of research do not matter much unless you have publications.

A summer of research in psyc would be seen equally as a summer of research in chemistry.

The only way that it could make a difference is if 1) you get a good project and end up with a name on a publication, 2) you get an excellent ref letter.

Take the opportunity, don't think adcoms will look down on you. Research is research, whatever the subject of area is.

Archived