Premed 101 Forums

Nucleophilicity

bilirubin3

Hey so the princeton review books don't really elaborate on this but what makes a good nucleophile (Other than a negative charge or a lone pair). Which halogen is the best nucleophile (flourine?).

Sorry, I- is the strongest halogen nucelophile.

(I am guessing you said fluroine because of its strong electronegativity. But, the more electronegative an atom is, the less nucleophilic it will be.)

Aside from solvent effects, steric hindrance is a biggie too. If the potential nucleophile is very steric and bulky, it likely won't act as a nucleophile, because nucleophilic attack generally requires a free path to the atom being attacked. In that case, it'll probably act as a base instead and set off a beta-elimination through a deprotonation.

Bear in mind this all refers to Sn2/E2, as the nucleophile strength isn't nearly as important in Sn1/E1 reactions.

I'm having some similar (?) issues.

I was doing some practice questions on substitution rxns and came across a question where I was deemed wrong for stating that the nucleophile/leaving group pairing of Cl-/I- in an SN2 rxn would not be work b/c I- is too strong of a nucleophile. HOWEVER, as we are discussing here, I- is NOT a strong nucleophile in aprotic solutions and, as I understand it, SN2 rxns occur in aprotic sol'ns. Is this an error in the book?

They deemed tosylate/CN- more appropriate. I know CN- is a strong nucleophile in protic sol'n, but does it not follow the same rules as iodide whereby it is weaker in aprotic sol'ns?

And, do SN2 rxns always occur in aprotic sol'ns? Is it possible that they can proceed in protic sol'ns (I thought not)?

Archived