Premed 101 Forums

2011-2012 application Manual

It's nice to see that they're disclosing what they're asking the referees about the applicant.

Ya. I was very impressed with that. Though its quite obvious how medical school grades app and what they are lookign for in the interview... Its blazing on the CanMeds website (hahaha... I was about to write CARMS... gotta stop thinking about it).

Thanks for the links. Couple of question on some of the changes in the U of C app:

1. UCAN (online app system) tells us to report best MCAT score set. However, what year range are the MCAT valid for?

2. What's the purpose of us reporting our previous addresses? Is it to determine rurality of applicants?

3. Anyone know if U of C adcom uses CEGEP grades (it's a Quebec thing) for their GPA calculations?

Haven't started the app yet, but I'm not sure which of my MCAT scores to use:

29Q- 8PS/11VR/10BS

Or my most recent:

32R- 12PS/9VR/11BS

My verbal is definitely better on my first one, but would putting my second score be better/help me more for the subjective part???:confused:

That's tricky. I remember reading in the FAQ that unless there is a drastic difference in the science scores, you should go with the higher VR MCAT. Given that your BS and writing scores are pretty similar, I'd go with the first MCAT if it were me...

Also, saw your other post in the lounge- welcome to Toronto!!! :) Hope you are enjoying it here!

Toronto is amazing. Welcome.

Definitely go with the higher VR MCAT. The subjective is worth 10% total - so that includes course rigour, your background knowledge, and your MCAT all together. The VR on its own is also worth 10%.

The bigger issue is that because they're standardizing the categories, that 9 might hurt you big time on the VR curve, but the decrease in subjective might not hurt you as badly.

Definitely go with the higher VR MCAT. The subjective is worth 10% total - so that includes course rigour, your background knowledge, and your MCAT all together. The VR on its own is also worth 10%.

The bigger issue is that because they're standardizing the categories, that 9 might hurt you big time on the VR curve, but the decrease in subjective might not hurt you as badly.

+1. With the emphasis on VR, I would definitely go with the higher VR MCAT. Especially if you've shown in other ways that you are "good" at the sciences (ie. high marks in the related courses you took at university).

I actually have another suggestion, you may want to try to take the MCAT test again, if you can meet the deadline.

Based on your score, you are capable of getting a higher MCAT score with nice VR as well. The worst case, as far as U of C is concerned, you can always use your first score if the rewrite doesn't work out.

Well with a 9 in VR as an OOP student, here's hoping my GPA can pull me the heck up

Edit: Errr with a 9 VR and 3.84GPA are the chances extremely slim of even getting a full file review? The way I see it, someone with a 10VR simply needs only a 3.34GPA to get ahead of me in the rankings. Should I bother applying this cycle?

I actually have another suggestion, you may want to try to take the MCAT test again, if you can meet the deadline.

Based on your score, you are capable of getting a higher MCAT score with nice VR as well. The worst case, as far as U of C is concerned, you can always use your first score if the rewrite doesn't work out.

+1

This is the correct answer. You can absolutely meet the deadline for a re-write. This could really make it for you... no pressure.:)

Well with a 9 in VR as an OOP student, here's hoping my GPA can pull me the heck up

Edit: Errr with a 9 VR and 3.84GPA are the chances extremely slim of even getting a full file review? The way I see it, someone with a 10VR simply needs only a 3.34GPA to get ahead of me in the rankings. Should I bother applying this cycle?

Question: did you take into account normalization?

Answer: Yes.

Response: Wow! That's incredible that you calculated the standard deviations based on the graphs of previous years. You're awesome!

Answer: No.

Response: Then... normalization will save your butt here. Apply!

Question: did you take into account normalization?

Answer: Yes.

Response: Wow! That's incredible that you calculated the standard deviations based on the graphs of previous years. You're awesome!

Answer: No.

Response: Then... normalization will save your butt here. Apply!

Hmm the way I read it was that normalization only comes into account when there's a full file review, no?

In order to qualify for a full file review, an OOP needs to be in the top 200-250 of the OOP applicant pool

Hmm the way I read it was that normalization only comes into account when there's a full file review, no?

In order to qualify for a full file review, an OOP needs to be in the top 200-250 of the OOP applicant pool

The way I read it was that the issue is that MCAT and GPA have different breadths therefore, statistically, countering the percentages they wanted to set them at.

Thus, I would assume they would try to fix this problem by normalizing at the start. It doesn't make sense to normalize MCAT and GPA during full file review only.

The way I read it was that the issue is that MCAT and GPA have different breadths therefore, statistically, countering the percentages they wanted to set them at.

Thus, I would assume they would try to fix this problem by normalizing at the start. It doesn't make sense to normalize MCAT and GPA during full file review only.

Well sir, I just called them up and it appears you are correct :)

*places hat in the ring* ;)

I agree with you that it is adcom's job to answer applicants' questions, however during some periods, it takes them longer than usual, or in the case of AMCAS, they never answer emails or tell me "to go eat a donut" if they can't resolve my questions over the telephone, after I have waited for over 1 hour. Sometimes, pm101 members are more knowledgeable.

I used the search function, then figure that with some of the recent changes to U of C med this year, I wanted to ask someone in the know of the new admissions policies.

I'm not sure how you viewed my post as an insult to pm101 or its members. Maybe you misunderstood.

It is their job to answer your questions, not ours...especially when the questions have already be answered (use the search function), or have an answer that is listed in the schools application manual/FAQ.

Probably isn't the best idea to insult the members of pm101. Just sayin'

That's tricky. I remember reading in the FAQ that unless there is a drastic difference in the science scores, you should go with the higher VR MCAT. Given that your BS and writing scores are pretty similar, I'd go with the first MCAT if it were me...

Also, saw your other post in the lounge- welcome to Toronto!!! :) Hope you are enjoying it here!

My only concern is my PS... I mean, my first attempt was TERRIBLE, but my second attempt was MUCH better (shocking how it went from my worst score by far, to my best score!). To me, a 4 point difference is HUGE :S.

Toronto is great so far! So much traffic though! Kind of glad that the area I live in is VERY transit/walking friendly! I might not even need a car!

That makes sense and kind of what I was thinking... It just seems so counter-intuitive to go with such a lower score! Too I guess they get both scores no matter what, so maybe that would weigh in somehow for subjective?

And thanks:) It does seem pretty good so far!

+1

This is the correct answer. You can absolutely meet the deadline for a re-write. This could really make it for you... no pressure.:)

I could meet the deadline to rewrite, but because I have had such a hectic summer moving, etc (I'm still not completely settled in to my new place. Haven't even been here a week yet!), it's really not feasible for me to write. Especially starting a new degree in September (where I need to do well to increase the weakest part of my app- my GPA). If I don't get in this year, I will definitely rewrite, but I think I'll give it one more year with these scores and see where I end up. Too bad you can't mix and match your MCATz! 34R? Heck yes! LOL

Good luck everyone! I'll be starting my app as soon as I get stable internetz!

Hey everyone,

I've noticed that the Calgary online application system doesn't allow me to enter in the n ames of my courses but rather only allows me to choose the courses from a drop down menu...how would i go about classifying something like "Microbial biogeochemistry?" technically, it's classified as an environmental science course on my transcript but there's no option like that on the application. Similarly, I've got a course that's titled "Human Health and the Environment" and again, it's classified as an environmental science course on my transcript but there's no "environmental science" option in the drop down menu...:confused:

Archived