Premed 101 Forums

Kaplan`s Verbal Reasoning: DOES IT WORK any tips?

Like_a_G6

I am really surprised at how ****ty every prep company's verbal strategy is. I mean, seriously! It seems to them that simply having a 'unique strategy' is more important than having a good strategy. Why can't any of them just break it down into a simple process...like it is really? I think this is one reason why so many people stress over VR, because there is not a single company teaching a good, logical, and sufficient method.

Skipping a whole passage?...Seriously!!! Has anyone who suggests this actually tried it? And, not going back to the passage? Who is able to remember all of the fine details of the overly dense passages?

Perhaps these companies are comfortable with teaching a method to get an 8...thinking that that should be good enough. There are a million different things you could do to get an 8, but probably only 1 or 2 to consistently get a 12+.

End of rant...sorry to derail your thread.

I personally thought the strategy itself works quite well. (Scoring 12's on practise AAMC's but the actual test had a passage that really threw me off so ended with a 10)

Their practise material, however, is garbage. Applying the Kaplan stategy to the EK material seems to work well.

I personally thought the strategy itself works quite well. (Scoring 12's on practise AAMC's but the actual test had a passage that really threw me off so ended with a 10)

Their practise material, however, is garbage. Applying the Kaplan stategy to the EK material seems to work well.

how garbage? so far ive only done kaplan practice...

Their passages seem to really mould to their strategy. It becomes far to easy to pick out "faulty detail" "out of scope" etc etc in their "trick answers". The style of the passages and the wording of the questions is also not really representative to what the AAMC gives to you.

If you do an AAMC practise and you find that you score well on verbal, just keep doing what you're doing. But I found the transition from reading EK's passages/questions to doing the AAMC tests to be almost seamless. The EK tests may at first seem very easy, but i found they really helped me with quickly pinpointing which answer was wrong, and why it was wrong, because they were so similar to the actual ones.

Archived