Premed 101 Forums

Few questions regarding shadowing

Hello, to those who have shadowing experiences, I am hoping to get some advice from you guys.

So I've started shadowing this dentist and been to his clinic twice. On the first day, it went okay with me asking plenty of questions and a constant flow of dialogue ensued. However, now I'm running out of questions and I mostly just sit in the chair, looking pathetic. I don't know what I should do to make the atmosphere more engaging, or just less awkward. I thought about asking to see if they could use some help with sterilizing etc., but it doesn't appear that there's much to do around there, plus I don't wanna intrude on the assistant's job. So what do you guys do to keep it interesting for me and for the dentist's sake?

My other question is: when do you know it's appropriate to take your leave? I've only been to the clinic twice, and the dentist has been kind enough to make me feel welcomed and let me come again whenever I ask at the end of the shift. But how long do you guys usually shadow at the same dentist before saying goodbye? I don't mind asking for a referral or find a new dentist to shadow.

Thanks in advance. :)

If you want you can always volunteer there. Im sure everyone likes the help and everyone loves unpaid labour... You can also ask him/her to see what they are doing more often, ask them to explain? To be honest, it does get boring if you are just observing... but unfortunately, due to legal reasons youre not allowed to touch the patient... LOL

Hello, to those who have shadowing experiences, I am hoping to get some advice from you guys.

So I've started shadowing this dentist and been to his clinic twice. On the first day, it went okay with me asking plenty of questions and a constant flow of dialogue ensued. However, now I'm running out of questions and I mostly just sit in the chair, looking pathetic. I don't know what I should do to make the atmosphere more engaging, or just less awkward. I thought about asking to see if they could use some help with sterilizing etc., but it doesn't appear that there's much to do around there, plus I don't wanna intrude on the assistant's job. So what do you guys do to keep it interesting for me and for the dentist's sake?

My other question is: when do you know it's appropriate to take your leave? I've only been to the clinic twice, and the dentist has been kind enough to make me feel welcomed and let me come again whenever I ask at the end of the shift. But how long do you guys usually shadow at the same dentist before saying goodbye? I don't mind asking for a referral or find a new dentist to shadow.

Thanks in advance. :)

Hehe, glad you've taken the initiative to shadow a dentist! When I shadowed my dentist, she let me do some dental assisting for cleanings, fillings and periodontal charting (i wasn't allowed to take X-rays), practising some six-handed dentistry while we were at it, with the help of the dental assistant, of course. I asked if I could come back and shadow and volunteer after my first visit, and the dentist liked me enough to have let me do that. The receptionist also asked me to help out at the front desk with filling out insurance forms, filing, and with sterilization. Very very friendly environment, made me love dentistry so much more!

I hope you have a very positive experience at your dental office!

Hehe, glad you've taken the initiative to shadow a dentist! When I shadowed my dentist, she let me do some dental assisting for cleanings, fillings and periodontal charting (i wasn't allowed to take X-rays), practising some six-handed dentistry while we were at it, with the help of the dental assistant, of course. I asked if I could come back and shadow and volunteer after my first visit, and the dentist liked me enough to have let me do that. The receptionist also asked me to help out at the front desk with filling out insurance forms, filing, and with sterilization. Very very friendly environment, made me love dentistry so much more!

I hope you have a very positive experience at your dental office!

Thanks for your reply bunoftruth. I suppose I could ask if my dentist could let me do some assisting. To me, it just feels more like a hassle to them to have someone inexperienced do the job when an assistant can do it much quicker/efficiently. I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask. Btw, how long did you shadow at the same dentist for?

Thanks!:D

Archived