Premed 101 Forums

Mediocre step 1 score: include in carms or omit?

ac84

Should I omit or include mediocre step 1 score in CaRMS?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Should I omit or include mediocre step 1 score in CaRMS?

• Omit from application
    • Include in application

Hi,

Another 4th year gearing up for the application cycle.

A question for those with experience. I wrote the Step 1 in 2nd year with only 2 weeks of studying just to see if I could pass, so I wouldn't have to relearn this material later should I apply for a fellowship in the US. I have no intention nor had any of doing a residency in the US so I didn't think my scores would particularly matter.

Is it better for programs to see I have done it, even if I didn't do particularly well (basically slightly below the average, but not horrible), or is it better to simply not report it to CaRMS? I just fear it could be a detractor in an otherwise strong package.

Thanks.

Include it if you feel morally obliged but I wouldn't take much stock in what ppl say to you. Everytime I mentioned it for whatever reason, ppl say 'that was really smart' or 'it make sense to keep your options open'. I can't imagine ppl responding negatively to it, doenst mean that I would be a more attractive candidate as a result.

If anything they might take the not so good result as a reflection of your academic ability (something they wouldn't otherwise be able to do unless you failed a course or your school has honors)

Archived