Premed 101 Forums

Will not wearing Glasses makes your eyes worse?

I am minimally near sighted. I have like a -0.5 prescription.

1. If I don't wear glasses, will my eyes worsen because of that?

Some people tell me not wearing glasses will make one's eyes worsen more quickly.

2. On the other hand, some people tell me that wearing glasses may make your eyes weaker because your eyes will then adapt to having support from glasses.. (I find this sketchy)

Experiences please?

Thanks.

I am minimally near sighted. I have like a -0.5 prescription.

1. If I don't wear glasses, will my eyes worsen because of that?

Some people tell me not wearing glasses will make one's eyes worsen more quickly.

2. On the other hand, some people tell me that wearing glasses may make your eyes weaker because your eyes will then adapt to having support from glasses.. (I find this sketchy)

Experiences please?

Thanks.

P.S. One problem with my eyes is that they show red veins and hurt after staring at the computer too long on a daily basis. Don't know if that should be taken into account..

You posted this thread in an incorrect place making it irrelevant to the rest of the discussions ...and therefore difficult to answer this question. Take some time to explore the forum since you're new here, you'll find that it's very helpful when it is used correctly. Regardless, I don't think anyone on this forum is a professional yet and no one wants to bare the responsibility of what may happen to your eyes if they tell you something and it turns out to harm you. Talk to your optometrist to clarify whatever information you may have heard.

Regardless, I don't think anyone on this forum is a professional yet

Hmmm lots of people are professionals on this forum maybe you should explore it a bit more as well. We have lots allied health professionals and a few attendings (+ quite a few residents).

To the OP: unfortunately a forum isn't a place for medical advice.

Hmmm lots of people are professionals on this forum maybe you should explore it a bit more as well. We have lots allied health professionals and a few attendings (+ quite a few residents).

To the OP: unfortunately a forum isn't a place for medical advice.

I'm aware there are professionals on a network this large. Pardon my poor choice of wording but that was not the main point. My point was the exact same thing you said to the OP in the post you wrote after mine.

Wearing glasses or not won't change anything with your eyes. However you do get "used" in a way. If you wear them all the time, then when you take them off it feels like everything is blurry, while things start looking normal when you don't wear them for prolonged periods of time. My prescription is around -1.5 and I only wear them to class, movies and sometimes when driving at night or when I really need to read the street signs.

Archived