Premed 101 Forums

Writing the Mcat Mutiple Times

thehockeykid

I was wondering since I am going to my 2nd year I am trying to plan and take the MCAT. Do most schools take your best MCAT mark or do they count your most recent one?

What I am thinking

After 2nd year

-write my mcat

-self study

After 3rd year (pending I didn't get high as I wanted after 2nd)

-write my mcat

-take a prep course, eg princeton review

Save yourself the trouble and go all out your first time. Haven written it 3 times, I can you tell you that writing it more than once is very troublesome. I had the same mentality and self-studied half-ass the first time and wrote it within the same year again without studying as much as I should have. The following year I studied twice as much and did much better. Schools in Canada don't discriminate, but if you need to apply to US schools, multiple MCAT writings can be looked at negatively. You have to look at schools admissions websites, but for the most part schools take your best score, although there are schools like UofT that take your most recent.

I was wondering since I am going to my 2nd year I am trying to plan and take the MCAT. Do most schools take your best MCAT mark or do they count your most recent one?

What I am thinking

After 2nd year

-write my mcat

-self study

After 3rd year (pending I didn't get high as I wanted after 2nd)

-write my mcat

-take a prep course, eg princeton review

Generally it is most recent (there are a few exceptions though).

You certainly can write it after 2nd year - you will have covered all the material required. These prep is so time consuming, and that studying will ultimately take time away from doing valuable ECs aim if at all possible to write it once and get the score you want but it is probably wise to still have flexibility to write it again if needed :)

Does writing the MCAT and "voiding it" look bad for American schools? I know if my MCAT doesn't go as well as I want it to this Friday that's what I'll do, my practice scores are all over the place: from competitive to purely embarrassing :(

If you void it, I think that schools will never know you even took the test.

Archived