Premed 101 Forums

I need help :(

Hey guys, I moved this thread to this forum cuz I'm a non-trad applicant

Please tell me if doing a second UG is a good idea or if I should do something

else to improve my chances:

OMSAS cGPA 3.56

last two (non-degree) year OMSAS GPA 3.87, 4.0 (both 5 full course equivalents)

Going to start a second undergrad at Ryerson

Haven't written the MCAT yet; I'm going to write it next August and I started the VR section and hopefully I'll finnish PS and Orgo during the school year.

Several work/volunteer/club/research experiences in the past.

I'm even thinking of moving to Alberta or elsewhere if I think I'll have a better chance there. Do you honestly think I have a chance at schools in Ontario after doing a second UG? :confused:

Thanks

Hey guys, I moved this thread to this forum cuz I'm a non-trad applicant

Please tell me if doing a second UG is a good idea or if I should do something

else to improve my chances:

OMSAS cGPA 3.56

last two (non-degree) year OMSAS GPA 3.87, 4.0 (both 5 full course equivalents)

Going to start a second undergrad at Ryerson

Haven't written the MCAT yet; I'm going to write it next August and I started the VR section and hopefully I'll finnish PS and Orgo during the school year.

Several work/volunteer/club/research experiences in the past.

I'm even thinking of moving to Alberta or elsewhere if I think I'll have a better chance there. Do you honestly think I have a chance at schools in Ontario after doing a second UG? :confused:

Thanks

What's your last three year GPA? You might have a shot at Ottawa. With your two best years you have an excellent shot at UWO and Queens (3.9+ avg in those two years). You will just need to meet the cut offs for MCAT. If you get an 11+ on VR, you should apply at Mac cuz majority of the application is Casper.

Good luck :)

What's your last three year GPA? You might have a shot at Ottawa. With your two best years you have an excellent shot at UWO and Queens (3.9+ avg in those two years). You will just need to meet the cut offs for MCAT. If you get an 11+ on VR, you should apply at Mac cuz majority of the application is Casper.

Good luck :)

my fourth year is 3.89 OMSAS GPA with four full course equivalents...

Ones before that are really bad and hence my cGPA is really low.

What is the cut-off for Queen's? Reading the posts it seems its about 10 avg with insanely high WS. Is this true? Also, for UWO, do they use MCAT cut-offs as flags like UT or do they us it in the final ranking of applicants?

Furthermore, do you guys think doing a second UG is worth it? and should i move to another province???

I wouldn't do a second undergrad (perhaps outline transfer credits/education plan scenario for better advice). 2nd undergrad will prevent you from applying to UWO until your final year. Just do well on the MCAT and apply to UWO/Queens/Ottawa/Dal. You can apply to Ottawa this year without writing the MCAT (assuming you have the course prerequisites).

I wouldn't move to Alberta in your shoes. With your stats you're not guaranteed interviews as an IP applicant (both schools look at cGPA and only drop one year). For such a large risk move, you want to have a good probability of scoring interviews.

You easily meet the Queen's GPA cutoff. WS fluctuates between Q/R (not insanely high, but not low either).

UWO is also a hard MCAT cutoff, and it's not a flag. It is used in the final ranking of applicants.

Try to get a 10/11/10/R (PS/VR/BS/WS)

Thanks HBP and Ishaquea.

To clarify, with transfer credits I only have to do two years to get a second UG. Since, I am planning to write it next August and apply in September, I will be in my final year of my second UG, so I think I'll be eligible to apply to UWO. I should've metioned this earlier too but from calculating my GPA the way University of Alberta and University of Calgary does, I think my marks will be close to the GPA cut-offs for those schools.

UA (accd. to website) stat for 1st yr UG med was cGPA of 3.86

If I assume that I get 4.0 every year from now until I finnish my degree it will be 3.87. Ofcourse, that's only an assumption but I think i can get a 4.0 or something very close to it at Ryerson, not so sure about schools in Alberta.

UC (accd. to the painstakenly detailed application manual) stat was cGPA of 3.68 (incl. all attempted courses) and 3.82 for 2 most recent years. I believe they're changing their gpa calculation like they do at UA starting this year so I won't know how much it will deviate from this year's stat but I think it will be something close to UA.

Do you guys think it's worth to take a chance and move to Alberta so that my best cGPA will be max. +.03 pts. above the avg. of the entering class? Of course, I'm making a huge assumption that I'll get 4.0 avg. for my second UG but I guess I am determined to work my ass off. However, I'm more sure about getting that 4.0 at Ryerson than schools in Alberta since I already took a few courses there last year.:confused: :confused:

I'm asking this question because as an Ontario resident my choices are limited to schools in Ontario. I want to hear other people's thoughts about my situation: taking a chance moving to another province and have more schools to apply, or stay at ryerson and get 4.0 but limit my choices of schools.

I wouldn't do a second undergrad (perhaps outline transfer credits/education plan scenario for better advice). 2nd undergrad will prevent you from applying to UWO until your final year. Just do well on the MCAT and apply to UWO/Queens/Ottawa/Dal. You can apply to Ottawa this year without writing the MCAT (assuming you have the course prerequisites).

I wouldn't move to Alberta in your shoes. With your stats you're not guaranteed interviews as an IP applicant (both schools look at cGPA and only drop one year). For such a large risk move, you want to have a good probability of scoring interviews.

You easily meet the Queen's GPA cutoff. WS fluctuates between Q/R (not insanely high, but not low either).

UWO is also a hard MCAT cutoff, and it's not a flag. It is used in the final ranking of applicants.

Try to get a 10/11/10/R (PS/VR/BS/WS)

Archived