Premed 101 Forums

Second undergrad - transfer credits and year of study!!!!!

I did my first undergrad at UofT and now just got in York for the second undergrad. The problem is that they (York) granted way too many transfer credits that I am already at the 4th year status. But I can't take any 4th year courses in my new program of study because I barely have any prereqs!! And now I am starting to worry that this may work against my chances for UWO... is it possible to ask the faculty to undo some of the transfers and lower my year of study??? Man..this is just messed up :(

Hi,

Another second UG student at York here (just finished up and applying this year). If you're in Kine you don't need prereq to take upper year courses ie. you should be fine signing up for courses online. However, bio and chem departments have strict rules about having completed prereq before commencing onto the upper level courses. Depending on the nature of your first degree you could still take upper level courses with special permission, which I have done so on numerous occasions. With Western in mind, make sure you take at least three 3rd/4th level courses in each year (I'm assuming you're doing only 2 years at York). Hope this helps.

I did my first undergrad at UofT and now just got in York for the second undergrad. The problem is that they (York) granted way too many transfer credits that I am already at the 4th year status. But I can't take any 4th year courses in my new program of study because I barely have any prereqs!! And now I am starting to worry that this may work against my chances for UWO... is it possible to ask the faculty to undo some of the transfers and lower my year of study??? Man..this is just messed up :(

Can you take a 400 level course that is not in your program? I know there probably aren't that many, but there's gotta be something out there that you can take without too many prereqs. If you just have one course at the 400 level then no, your chances at UWO won't be gone.

Hi,

Another second UG student at York here (just finished up and applying this year). If you're in Kine you don't need prereq to take upper year courses ie. you should be fine signing up for courses online. However, bio and chem departments have strict rules about having completed prereq before commencing onto the upper level courses. Depending on the nature of your first degree you could still take upper level courses with special permission, which I have done so on numerous occasions. With Western in mind, make sure you take at least three 3rd/4th level courses in each year (I'm assuming you're doing only 2 years at York). Hope this helps.

what, really? I asked to enroll in a 4th year kine course but I lacked the prereqs and so they didn't let me enroll :confused:

Hi all,

All the following informations pertain to Kine at York:

1) If you're ENROLLED IN KINE, then there's no prereq rule. You could be first year and take 4th year level course. The reality of course is that no sane person would do that unless you're registered as 2nd degree or mature students. I took 3rd and 4th level courses in my first year at York.

2) The number of transfered credits is 90 if you finished 4yr degree. But there are no rules about how many more credits you can take. When I did my counciling for credit options, they advised me to take 42 more credits including all the core courses to meet the degree requirements. I finished mine at 60 (2 full year) and will taking some more this coming Sept.

3) Doing second UG you really shouldn't be taking so called "easy" lower level courses unless they are required for the degree.

4) Kine 1020 is as straightforward as it gets. Quite dense in terms of material but way too manageable for second degree students.

PM me if you require more info

THanks for the replies, guys. But I am still confused; I did my research on the forum and some say as long as 3 out of 5 courses are "senior-level," Western will accept it. The definition of "senior-level" is a little controversial on the forum (is it 3000- and 4000- courses or any courses with prereqs?) but if this policy turns out to be true then I guess I am okay... I got total of 3 3000-level psych courses in my time table now. Otherwise, I guess I am doooomed :(

BTW I tried looking for 4th year courses that do not require many prereqs, but without any success... darn it!

Hi all,

All the following informations pertain to Kine at York:

1) If you're ENROLLED IN KINE, then there's no prereq rule. You could be first year and take 4th year level course. The reality of course is that no sane person would do that unless you're registered as 2nd degree or mature students. I took 3rd and 4th level courses in my first year at York.

Thanks for your information. I was just wondering where you learned of this no pre-req rule.

Thanks for your information. I was just wondering where you learned of this no pre-req rule.

I talked with the KINE department. It is actually true. If you are doing second degree and enrolled in KINE, you can actually take numerous 4th year courses without prerequisites. You only need to get special permission from the department (you can easily obtain special permission with a phone call)

Is there anyone enrolled in KINE (bsc) from this following Sept?

hey thanks etude. I'll give them a call next week.

In response to your first post, that's why I'm not taking KINE 1020 yet.. I'm afraid of having 2 first year courses in the same year. However, if uwo is willing to accept 2 100 levels in a second degree, then that makes my selection easier. HOWEVER, I'm having A LOT of trouble adding 1020. The system's not letting me add it. What are you taking?

hey thanks etude. I'll give them a call next week.

In response to your first post, that's why I'm not taking KINE 1020 yet.. I'm afraid of having 2 first year courses in the same year. However, if uwo is willing to accept 2 100 levels in a second degree, then that makes my selection easier. HOWEVER, I'm having A LOT of trouble adding 1020. The system's not letting me add it. What are you taking?

Well, Even if UWO does not accept ANY first year courses, you MUST take those courses in order to graduate. (These courses are not offered in summer session.) If my understanding is correct, UWO demands you to obtain the diploma before applying to the school.

I am taking only KINE courses in this year. I will PM you if you want my time schedule.

I plan on applying to dentistry at uwo, and the rule is slightly different than that of medicine; 4/5 of my courses must be 200 level or above. So I'm taking KINE 1000 this year and 1020 next year.

Oh really? Even UWO dents have course level rule? I never knew about that.

McMarauder, that 4/5 rule applies to special, non-degree year. There is no mention of requirements for second degree category. I'll have to email and find out about this. Will let you know once I get a response.

ps. i did kine 1020 and 1000 in a same year

McMarauder, that 4/5 rule applies to special, non-degree year. There is no mention of requirements for second degree category. I'll have to email and find out about this. Will let you know once I get a response.

ps. i did kine 1020 and 1000 in a same year

Yes, please do let us know, i am wondering about their second degree requirements as well!

hey guys, below is an email reply I've received from Western on July 11, 2011,

Q: With 4 first-year level and 1 second-year level transfer credits, I am considered a second year student once I begin my second degree, yet I need to complete first-year level prerequisite courses. What year of study will I be considered in as I proceed?

A: We will be go by what is on your transcript. If you university considers you to be a second-year student, then we would also consider you to be a second-year student.

ok so i just got into york as well for a second degree for psychology however, but im in the same boat I got 90 transfer credits and now need to decide on course selection. the problem im having is that for my program i need to take a bunch of second year credits in order to take any of the fourth years! the 3000 level i can take does anyone know if i can get special permission to take any of the fourth years, or would i be ok taking 3 3000 level psychs this year with a few 2000 level courses and then taking 4000 next year?

1) York's Kine department experienced flooding 2 weeks ago. They'll be back in full swing on Monday. But I highly advise you to come and talk to them in person. Trying to add core courses on-line at this time is virtually impossible as seats are all filled, but it's possible to squeeze in a seat or two if you talk to them in person.

2) I just need to clarify that I'm applying for dentistry so I wouldn't know much about medicine at Western

3) About the course selection uncertainty at Western it's your responsibility to find out by either calling or emailing them. Don't rely on forum source (I'm not dissing this site in any sense) to justify your "belief". I will, however, share the response I get with you guys.

Cheers

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/admissions/medicine/index.php?page=requirementsFAQ

1. How do I determine if I am eligible to apply to Schulich Medicine?

To be eligible to apply you must:

1.Be a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident of Canada.

2.Have completed or be in the final year of a program leading to a 4-year honours or equivalent* undergraduate degree at a recognized university, and expect to have obtained your degree by the end of the academic year in which application is being made. *Honours degree or equivalent: applicants must have taken sufficient senior-level courses during the second, third, and fourth year of their 4-year program to enable them to be eligible for admission into a graduate (Master’s Degree) program.

3.Have registered in courses in such a way that there have been at least two full academic years (taken during September - April) in which a minimum of 5 full or equivalent courses (30 credit hours) have been taken concurrently. This must be the case regardless of the course load required by the program in which the applicant is enrolled. The Grade Point Average (GPA) minimums must be met in EACH of these two years.

4.Have at least 3 full course equivalents whose published academic level is at or above the year of study in each of the 2 years used for the GPA requirement.

This means:

•In your first year of study 3 of 5 full course equivalents must be at the 1st year or above

•In your 2nd year of study 3 of 5 full course equivalents must be at the 2nd year or above

•In your 3rd year of study 3 of 5 full course equivalents must be at the 3rd year or above

•In your 4th year of study 3 of 5 full course equivalents must be at the 3rd year or above. Note: A mix of 3rd and 4th year courses to make up the 3 full course equivalents is acceptable in the fourth year

•If you do a fifth year of study prior to graduating, 3 of 5 full course equivalents must be at the 3rd year or above as for the fourth year

Please note, only ONE Pass/Fail credit will be permissible in each of the two years being considered for GPA.

ok so i just got into york as well for a second degree for psychology however, but im in the same boat I got 90 transfer credits and now need to decide on course selection. the problem im having is that for my program i need to take a bunch of second year credits in order to take any of the fourth years! the 3000 level i can take does anyone know if i can get special permission to take any of the fourth years, or would i be ok taking 3 3000 level psychs this year with a few 2000 level courses and then taking 4000 next year?

I saw on the other forum that 4th year students can take 3rd OR 4th courses, because Uwo is aware that not all 4th yr students can take 5.0 credits of 4 yr courses. I am just keeping my fingers crossed hoping that is actually true.

Yes, that's true. You can be taking a mix of 3rd/4th year courses in your fourth year.

Here is what their website says for second degree students:

13. What if I already have an undergraduate degree but am working towards or have recently completed a second undergraduate degree?

Students who already have one undergraduate degree and are working towards, or have recently completed, a second degree are not eligible to apply before the final year of their program, which must be an Honors Degree or equivalent program. Three out of 5 full or equivalent courses taken in each of the upper years of the second degree program must be senior-level courses. GPA consideration is based on the two best years of the second degree program only. Applicants who receive a conditional offer of admission must complete all second degree program requirements prior to registration in the M.D. program.

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/admissions/medicine/index.php?page=interviewFAQ#FAQ_15

The one thing I am confused about, however, is whether both years of the second degree (assuming it takes 2 years) are considered the "upper years." Can anyone clarify?

Archived