Premed 101 Forums

Second undergrad - transfer credits and year of study!!!!!

Medhopeful64: I asked this same question on the UWO forum. I know that when completing a second degree, 60% of your courses must be from senior level courses but I am confused as to what constitutes as senior level courses with respect to second degrees. I have heard that 2000+ courses count as part of the 60% but am not sure.

Medhopeful64: I asked this same question on the UWO forum. I know that when completing a second degree, 60% of your courses must be from senior level courses but I am confused as to what constitutes as senior level courses with respect to second degrees. I have heard that 2000+ courses count as part of the 60% but am not sure.

Yeah me too, I read around here somewhere that what defines a "senior course" is different for second degree students...something like not having a prereq? not sure :confused: Maybe I'll try calling western on Monday and see if I can figure it out.

Yeah me too, I read around here somewhere that what defines a "senior course" is different for second degree students...something like not having a prereq? not sure :confused: Maybe I'll try calling western on Monday and see if I can figure it out.

I talked with UWO medicine. They told me that they are currently working on the policies for second undergrads..

I am wondering if anyone was able to succesfully challenge some of their transfer credits.

When I was at Mac, the physiology courses I took were Animal/mammalian physiology courses. I was expecting to be exempted from Kine 2011 and Kine 3012, but because they are HUMAN physiology courses, I am required to take them at York. I was at york today and spoke to admissions, the faculty of health and the kine department and they all told me to write an appeal, but chances are, the animal physiology courses will not exempt me from the human physiology courses. (they've had transfer/2nd degree students in my situation before).

This is a problem because my Mac physiology courses and Kine2011+kine3012 courses, in the eyes of UWO dentistry, are "equivalent". I've already spoken to UWO about this and they said that it won't look so good. Suggestions?

for your reference: http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/dentistry/documents/Physiology_Prerequisites_September2009.pdf

Yes I will send you pm as soon as I get the news :)

Could you please include me in the PM too? Or post here on this thread? Thanks :)

I am wondering if anyone was able to succesfully challenge some of their transfer credits.

When I was at Mac, the physiology courses I took were Animal/mammalian physiology courses. I was expecting to be exempted from Kine 2011 and Kine 3012, but because they are HUMAN physiology courses, I am required to take them at York. I was at york today and spoke to admissions, the faculty of health and the kine department and they all told me to write an appeal, but chances are, the animal physiology courses will not exempt me from the human physiology courses. (they've had transfer/2nd degree students in my situation before).

This is a problem because my Mac physiology courses and Kine2011+kine3012 courses, in the eyes of UWO dentistry, are "equivalent". I've already spoken to UWO about this and they said that it won't look so good. Suggestions?

for your reference: http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/dentistry/documents/Physiology_Prerequisites_September2009.pdf

That's a tough situation - did you tell the York admissions that you need the transfer credit for your dentristy application? Include it in the appeal letter and hope for the best. York hasn't been very understanding to me either :(

I'm considering taking the physiology courses in the summer or even online through athabasca...

edit: I just remembered that the Physiology textbooks we used at Mac were HUMAN PHYSIOLOGY despite the fact that the courses were called animal physiology.. We'll see how this appeal goes.

that'd be great. thanks!

out of curiosity, how far is everyone commuting to york? I'm pretty sure my 1hr commute is short in comparison to many others.

About 40 mins here until next year when we will likely move a bit closer. Sadly driving will be my option since go train times dont work favourably with my return time home after classes are done.

that'd be great. thanks!

out of curiosity, how far is everyone commuting to york? I'm pretty sure my 1hr commute is short in comparison to many others.

Sort of off-topic from the OP, but I learned a great tip to keep costs down while commuting to York U last year.

Parking passes are insanely expensive, especially if you only have class a few days a week - not worth it imo. So, when you park in the larger "no reserve" lots on the periphery of campus (off Steeles) it's $10. But, then when you go to leave you find a car coming into the lot and he/she pays you $5 for your parking stub. Alternatively, when you're coming in to the lot you find someone who is leaving and give them $5 for their stub.

Sometimes I had to wait a few minutes for someone to either come in or leave the lots, but it saved me a ton of money doing this. GL!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was hoping to pose a question to you second UG students at york - is there a 50% residency requirement? I spoke to an academic advisor for a possible 2nd UG in psyc, and she told me that's an "old requirement." Also, do the Gen Ed requirements (ie modr, humanities, social science) have to be in different departments or can they overlap? (ie say you did two full year language courses - would this count for a maximum of just one of the Gen eds?)

Archived