Premed 101 Forums

References/LOR Question

For the 3 referees, I have 1 reference from a professor I worked with (paid research, not scholarship/NSERC) on a research project and 2 references from professors whose labs I volunteered in. Can any of these be considered "non-academic/character" referees as I am unsure as to what that term actually means? What if I got them to write about both my "character" as well as my research/academic skills? Have people got in with references from 3 professors with whom they did research with? I have not been taught any class by these professors.

Thanks in advance!

I guess in that case, I would be worried about diversity more than anything. Can these three professors each provide a unique and different perspective on you and your suitability for medicine? Because that's what you're going for - getting the AdCom to see you from a variety of different angles and in a variety of different situations. I just don't see you getting that from three references that are almost identical.

Well, if you can't supply the required number of references, your application won't be successful, so I think that makes your choice easier. Just to add, I think working on a project with someone usually allows them to get to know you better compared to just having been in their class (unless you were supervised by a third party, or it was a really small and interactive class, or something like that).

For the 3 referees, I have 1 reference from a professor I worked with (paid research, not scholarship/NSERC) on a research project and 2 references from professors whose labs I volunteered in. Can any of these be considered "non-academic/character" referees as I am unsure as to what that term actually means? What if I got them to write about both my "character" as well as my research/academic skills? Have people got in with references from 3 professors with whom they did research with? I have not been taught any class by these professors.

Thanks in advance!

They are all non-academic references. The academic references are the ones that talk about your study habits, marks etc. You can make them non-academic as well as academic if you ask your referee to talk about your academic abilities.

Archived