Premed 101 Forums

I NEED your help.

2baDR

Hi there.

here is my story.

I finished QC High School. and went directly to work due to family financial issues. I've just turned 27 last week, I have a very rewarding job [i work as a manager]. I finished two univ. certificates [can not be counted as bac. [Conted].]

Here is the problem:

Since high school, I've always wanted to become a doctor; I had dreams after college [Cegep] that one day I'll wear the white coat and start helping people. unfortunately, this didn't happen. last year I've decided to go fulfill my dream even if it means that I have to give up my job for it [i can't stop thinking about it]; this will require me to go back to school full time whether to university or to cegep.

I've been trying to figure out the way to get in.

if i go the university way, I'll have to do the followings:

-1 year cegep equivalent courses

-3-4 years bac.

-1 year PreMED [Maybe]

-then MED

if i go the Cegep way, I'll have to do the followings:

-2 years cegep DEC

-1 year PreMED

-4 years MED.

I know that the Cegep way is faster [i've just turned 27] but would they accept me if i do cegep or they will ask me to go through university due to my age. I have never been into cegeps would it be feasible or not.

I came to a point where I am very very confused don't know what to do anymore. please help

I know nothing about the quebec education system, or cegeps, etc, so im not a great authority to answer this, but I would say your best bet is to decide what schools you would be most interested in studying medicine at and contacting their respective admissions deptartments to ask them these same questions.. they will most likely be able to email you back a pretty good answer :)

Hi there.

I know that the Cegep way is faster [i've just turned 27] but would they accept me if i do cegep or they will ask me to go through university due to my age. I have never been into cegeps would it be feasible or not.

I came to a point where I am very very confused don't know what to do anymore. please help

I'm not a 100% sure about what your asking here... do you want to know if CEGEP will accept you even though you are 27 years old ? If it is what your asking, I'm pretty sure that CEGEP cannot refuse someone only base on age. Just make sure you have the High school pre req to do your DEC in science.

Hi 2baDR. You know, you're not alone in this situation. There are quite a few adult students in my class who had to go through the (almost) same process as you, that is, having to complete Cegep and pre-requisites before applying.

One great thing about Cegep is that there is no age policy / discrimination. You can apply anytime. What you'll need is 1) a DES (high school diploma), and 2) prerequisite classes from high school (strong maths, physiscs, chemistry) for admission to the science program in Cegep. I remember attending science classes in college two years ago with a 30-something y/o student who wanted to become a dentist. He was previously working full-time and had a wife and 2 or 3 kids. Since Cegep is the shortest path to med school in your situation, it should be considered. I would recommend you get info from a local college about the admission process and the science program that can lead you to medicine.

As you may already know, admission to med school is very competitive. You'll have to work hard to obtain good grades, either you choose the cegep or university path (which i'm less familiar with; you can still contact people at McGill, UdeS, UdeM or ULaval for more info). But be sure that entering med school at age 27 is totally feasable. Just keep your objectives in mind and stay motivated ! If you're ready to put on the necessary efforts then there are some chances you might become a doctor one day! :rolleyes:

Best of luck !

I'm not a 100% sure about what your asking here... do you want to know if CEGEP will accept you even though you are 27 years old ? If it is what your asking, I'm pretty sure that CEGEP cannot refuse someone only base on age. Just make sure you have the High school pre req to do your DEC in science.

I was asking if the MED School will accept me.

Hi 2baDR. You know, you're not alone in this situation. There are quite a few adult students in my class who had to go through the (almost) same process as you, that is, having to complete Cegep and pre-requisites before applying.

One great thing about Cegep is that there is no age policy / discrimination. You can apply anytime. What you'll need is 1) a DES (high school diploma), and 2) prerequisite classes from high school (strong maths, physiscs, chemistry) for admission to the science program in Cegep. I remember attending science classes in college two years ago with a 30-something y/o student who wanted to become a dentist. He was previously working full-time and had a wife and 2 or 3 kids. Since Cegep is the shortest path to med school in your situation, it should be considered. I would recommend you get info from a local college about the admission process and the science program that can lead you to medicine.

As you may already know, admission to med school is very competitive. You'll have to work hard to obtain good grades, either you choose the cegep or university path (which i'm less familiar with; you can still contact people at McGill, UdeS, UdeM or ULaval for more info). But be sure that entering med school at age 27 is totally feasable. Just keep your objectives in mind and stay motivated ! If you're ready to put on the necessary efforts then there are some chances you might become a doctor one day! :rolleyes:

Best of luck !

Thank you Nixon. That is really inspiring.

I know nothing about the quebec education system, or cegeps, etc, so im not a great authority to answer this, but I would say your best bet is to decide what schools you would be most interested in studying medicine at and contacting their respective admissions deptartments to ask them these same questions.. they will most likely be able to email you back a pretty good answer :)

I will email them all. Thank you

You already did university studies, I don't you can still be considered a cegepian even if you do cegep.

It depends of the amount of credits he has accumulated. But if he didn't do his sciences, why can't he be considered a cegepian? In deed, most people en judged on their marks obtained in the prerequisites at cégep.

Don't give up because of your age, even 35 y/o people get into medicine sometimes!!!

You have to check with the schools whether your uni. certificates credits count as university credits. If they do, then depending on the total number of credits you could be considered for the university category rather than cegep.

If they don't, then yes do cegep. I'm 30 and starting my premed this year after having done grad studies in computer science. I had to redo cegep prereqs (did them at uni) this year because they were more than 8 years old. Age will not limit you in your case.

Like others said, your best path right now is asking the schools directly.

Hello 2baDR,

Or depending on your grades in your 1st 2 certificates:

Other university way, do the followings:

-1 year cegep equivalent courses (either in a Cegep or in a Uni - UdeM does not ask that you have your prerequisite classes from high school) + 1 certicate and get a Bac par cumul

-If your grades are so, so in your first 2 certificates or if the IFD are low (to get an idea look at your certifactes on the ULaval IFD chart), do 1-2 years of a 2nd bac. (you are still considered a graduate)

-1 year PreMED [Maybe]

-then MED

To confirm, certificates actually do count as uni credits... they are like minors (the university way I described above is the way I took - so if you have any questions don't hesitate).

Since you have 60 credits in uni already, the Cegep way doesn't seem to be a very efficient way to go and you would have to cross out McGill as an option.

Hope this helps,

c2

Hi there.

I've been trying to figure out the way to get in.

if i go the university way, I'll have to do the followings:

-1 year cegep equivalent courses

-3-4 years bac.

-1 year PreMED [Maybe]

-then MED

if i go the Cegep way, I'll have to do the followings:

-2 years cegep DEC

-1 year PreMED

-4 years MED.

It depends of the amount of credits he has accumulated. But if he didn't do his sciences, why can't he be considered a cegepian? In deed, most people en judged on their marks obtained in the prerequisites at cégep.

Don't give up because of your age, even 35 y/o people get into medicine sometimes!!!

I didn't do any science prereqs at university. I hope that they do accept me as a cegepian.

You have to check with the schools whether your uni. certificates credits count as university credits. If they do, then depending on the total number of credits you could be considered for the university category rather than cegep.

If they don't, then yes do cegep. I'm 30 and starting my premed this year after having done grad studies in computer science. I had to redo cegep prereqs (did them at uni) this year because they were more than 8 years old. Age will not limit you in your case.

Like others said, your best path right now is asking the schools directly.

when I spoke with the Univ to transfer my courses to a BAC, they told me the courses are conted courses and therefore cannot be considered as UG Studies although they are equivalent to the one thought at UG level. [although I did over 60 credits, it still showing that I am a UG1 student.

Hello 2baDR,

Or depending on your grades in your 1st 2 certificates:

Other university way, do the followings:

-1 year cegep equivalent courses (either in a Cegep or in a Uni - UdeM does not ask that you have your prerequisite classes from high school) + 1 certicate and get a Bac par cumul

-If your grades are so, so in your first 2 certificates or if the IFD are low (to get an idea look at your certifactes on the ULaval IFD chart), do 1-2 years of a 2nd bac. (you are still considered a graduate)

-1 year PreMED [Maybe]

-then MED

To confirm, certificates actually do count as uni credits... they are like minors (the university way I described above is the way I took - so if you have any questions don't hesitate).

Since you have 60 credits in uni already, the Cegep way doesn't seem to be a very efficient way to go and you would have to cross out McGill as an option.

Hope this helps,

c2

I am just afraid that after doing all these extra years they will say that "you didn't do full times load ...., or that the grades were not that good [3.3~], ...." that's is way i am leaning toward cegep to start fresh and so that I can do all my sciences preqs these.

If you have financial fears, know that you can get a LOC (line of credit) in med, even if you're doing a pre-med year.

There is no financial issue presently; this was the issue when I left school.

When I inquired because i did not know what route to take, all Universities said that even if i went back to Cegep I would be considered a Uni student because of the number of credits I had (like you do).

All Uni credits are taken into account in the evaluation of your academics and in your case you would be better off bringing up your ~3.3 then being evaluated based on it. I only did 2yrs full time and wrote a letter with my admissions to explain why my last certificate was not done full-time - all Universities accepted this (although not required at ULaval which has an adult category).

Furthermore, having 60 credits at university might put you in the category "Universitaire en cours de Bac" which asks for an even higher CRU at UdeM...

c2

I didn't do any science prereqs at university. I hope that they do accept me as a cegepian.

when I spoke with the Univ to transfer my courses to a BAC, they told me the courses are conted courses and therefore cannot be considered as UG Studies although they are equivalent to the one thought at UG level. [although I did over 60 credits, it still showing that I am a UG1 student.

I am just afraid that after doing all these extra years they will say that "you didn't do full times load ...., or that the grades were not that good [3.3~], ...." that's is way i am leaning toward cegep to start fresh and so that I can do all my sciences preqs these.

I haven't got a reply from schools yet.

I was thinking of may be starting cegep at the same time as year 0 at a university. could i do that. taking into consideration that I will be taking the same courses at both institutions.

Archived