Premed 101 Forums

Third Year Acceptance

I finished second year of studies at UWO, and I'll be applyin to Ottawa this year. I was just wondering how many third year students actually get accepted to Ottawa, or even get interviews for that matter...

Also, I hear that once you make the GPA cut off and the autobiographical sketch cutoff (i.e. got invited to the interview), your GPA won't matter one bit, but based PURELY on your interview performance. How accurate is this fact? Also, I've heard of a few students in province, out of ottawa students get in after third year, but their wGPA's are stellar, wit >3.95. I've never really heard of a 3.89 (which usually makes the GPA cutoff) quite get in.

Anyone have deep insight of my questions?

Thanks

f_d does know more about this, but yes. It is definitely difficult to be accepted in your third year, and if you do your application and interview is more likely to be stellar than not to catch the committee's eye. Note that they don't explicitly screen who is in what year, so they're not actively discriminating. However, on paper individuals in their final year/MSc/PhD have often accomplished more, so in can lead to some imbalance in the pool.

I dont think there is any discrimination between 3rd yrs vs older students as long as you meet the GPA and ABS requirements. And yes, as long as you meet those requirement, admission is mainly based on ur interview scores and GPA is only used as a tie breaker.

yes, it's definitely possible to get in after 3rd year. But apply with the mind set that this is only a practice run for the next year. I don't think there's any discrimination against 3rd years per se, but older students have more time to accomplish more things/more life experiences. If you have further questions, feel free to PM me.

Everyone else seems to have answered your questions re: 3rd years, and I would agree with the points they make. GPA does count after interview. Everyone is ranked based on interview score, and then based on GPA. So if you have the same interview score as someone but a higher GPA, you'll be admitted first. Especially relevant for waitlist.

• 4 months later...

Are you even able to apply to Ottawa as a third year?

This is what their website says:

Applications will be accepted from students in good standing who will have successfully completed, prior to the beginning of June preceding registration, in a recognized university, three years of full-time studies (five full-year course/year)

Doesn't this mean you need to have three years with grades to be eligible to apply (ie be in 4th year)?

Are you even able to apply to Ottawa as a third year?

This is what their website says:

Applications will be accepted from students in good standing who will have successfully completed, prior to the beginning of June preceding registration, in a recognized university, three years of full-time studies (five full-year course/year)

Doesn't this mean you need to have three years with grades to be eligible to apply (ie be in 4th year)?

No - you can apply as a 3rd year student - but if interviewed and accepted, you must have 3 years of full time studies, full course load by end of June, or your acceptance will be revoked.

Archived