Premed 101 Forums

CV for Carms

It's a CV, not a resume (established researchers can have dozens of pages). If you have a lot of legit stuff (not padding) then I would congratulate you on being well-qualified. I've trimmed descriptions with shifting emphasis over time, but never deleted anything of significance. You also want adequate white space and a font that is large enough to read easily.

Guest copacetic

academic CVs have no length limit. and thats the final word. your run of the mill resume is a different matter.

there tends to be alot of confusion about this kind of thing because alot of people dont know the difference between academic CVs and a regular resume.

• 2 weeks later...

Academic awards definitely belong on the CV. As for other items, I didn't want to make any assumptions about what committee members would find interesting (some people like to see your work experience), so I included everything of relevance.

My sections were: education, awards, research and employment, publications and presentations, leadership and service, other activities and interests, examinations and certifications.

FYI I submitted a 4 page CV to CaRMS - others may differ, but it was well spaced out with prominent headers, so it would have been easy for a reader to skip to the section(s) of interest.

The length of a CV for CaRMS will depend on your experience as well as your style of CV.

Note also that depending on the programs you apply to, you won't submit a separate CV for all schools (or at least I didn't) - CaRMS has you basically enter your CV equivalent one step at a time (tedious) in the generic application.

My CaRMS CV was only 3 pages, but I have only been involved in one research project, and have not done any formal presentations, so I didn't have some sections many people here would have. I did include work experience and academic awards, and would think both are pretty standard.

Archived