Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Caribbean medical student applying to US schools


Recommended Posts

Hey,

I was wondering if you can apply to US medical schools if you are enrolled in a Caribbean medical school currently? Is there an AMCAS policy that doesn't allow people who are in international medical schools from being considered at US medical schools, even if you aren't looking for a transfer, but rather starting fresh?

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...
There are schools that will take transfers into 3rd year if your step 1 score is good, but these are rare events. Sadly they are only available to people with US citizenship.

 

Thanks for the reply leviathan. Here is my issue:

I am a Canadian citizen and I just started at Saba in September 2011, but during the summer I had also filled out applications for US schools. Once I got accepted to Saba, I emailed one of the medical schools to tell them about my updated status, and made it clear to them that I am NOT looking for a transfer, but rather, if admitted to their medical school, will start as a freshmen. Someone from their admin office replied saying that if a student is already enrolled in a medical school, then their application will automatically be rejected. She ended by saying that she thinks it's an AMCAS policy. I tried to read over their guidelines/policies, but couldn't find anything of this sort.

Just a few days ago, I received an interview invite from Boston U. The strange thing is that I had sent them the exact same message about being admitted to Saba and asked them if I need to send them some sort of proof. They never replied to it and still sent me an invite. Now I am not sure if they never saw the message, or they ignored it, or my current status as a medical student doesn't affect their decision, or what. The interview date is at the end of October and it's a day after my block exam (you are from Saba so you know what I am talking about). There is no way I can make it to Boston for the next day. So now when I request for a different interview date, I am not sure if I should mention my admission in Saba as the reason.

That's the reason why I am wondering if there is some sort of policy against admitting students from an international school.

Sorry for the long message, but I hope someone on this forum has been in the same situation and can give me some advice.

Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply leviathan. Here is my issue:

I am a Canadian citizen and I just started at Saba in September 2011, but during the summer I had also filled out applications for US schools. Once I got accepted to Saba, I emailed one of the medical schools to tell them about my updated status, and made it clear to them that I am NOT looking for a transfer, but rather, if admitted to their medical school, will start as a freshmen. Someone from their admin office replied saying that if a student is already enrolled in a medical school, then their application will automatically be rejected. She ended by saying that she thinks it's an AMCAS policy. I tried to read over their guidelines/policies, but couldn't find anything of this sort.

Just a few days ago, I received an interview invite from Boston U. The strange thing is that I had sent them the exact same message about being admitted to Saba and asked them if I need to send them some sort of proof. They never replied to it and still sent me an invite. Now I am not sure if they never saw the message, or they ignored it, or my current status as a medical student doesn't affect their decision, or what. The interview date is at the end of October and it's a day after my block exam (you are from Saba so you know what I am talking about). There is no way I can make it to Boston for the next day. So now when I request for a different interview date, I am not sure if I should mention my admission in Saba as the reason.

That's the reason why I am wondering if there is some sort of policy against admitting students from an international school.

Sorry for the long message, but I hope someone on this forum has been in the same situation and can give me some advice.

Thanks

 

You should be safe from the "Traffic Rules" since your med school is outside of Canada/US. If you indicate you are from Saba, ensure they know it's an international school.

 

The individual from the admin office probably didn't realize that the rules only apply to Canada/US schools.

 

"Immediately upon enrollment in, or initiation of an orientation program immediately prior to enrollment at, a U.S. or Canadian school or program, each applicant withdraw his or her application from consideration at all other schools or programs at which he or she remains under consideration."

 

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/recommendations/62820/policies_applicants.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey, you should be fine with applying as freedom mentioned. I know lots of people who reapplied to start over (and were accepted) in Canadian schools and I don't think US schools would have a different policy.

 

Congrats on the interview. I would take any chance at a US medical school that you can get, as it will dramatically improve your chances of matching into residencies.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey, you should be fine with applying as freedom mentioned. I know lots of people who reapplied to start over (and were accepted) in Canadian schools and I don't think US schools would have a different policy.

 

Congrats on the interview. I would take any chance at a US medical school that you can get, as it will dramatically improve your chances of matching into residencies.

 

Thanks leviathan, I really appreciate the encouragement. So do you think if I email them requesting a reschedule I should let them know the real reason, ie that the interview date is on the day of my exam?

Thanks once again for such quick replies. I appreciate it immensely as I am freaking out and really wanted to talk to someone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congrats on BU. Yes, call them up and ask for a reschedule. If they say why? - mention you have an exam. I doubt that they will ask if it is a block exam and such. It should be easier to call and reschedule than to have to worry about what to write in an e-mail.

 

Best of luck with the interview.

 

Thanks leviathan, I really appreciate the encouragement. So do you think if I email them requesting a reschedule I should let them know the real reason, ie that the interview date is on the day of my exam?

Thanks once again for such quick replies. I appreciate it immensely as I am freaking out and really wanted to talk to someone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
Thanks leviathan, I really appreciate the encouragement. So do you think if I email them requesting a reschedule I should let them know the real reason, ie that the interview date is on the day of my exam?

Thanks once again for such quick replies. I appreciate it immensely as I am freaking out and really wanted to talk to someone.

 

Have you been accepted in US?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...