Premed 101 Forums

Due date for Reference letter

Hi all,

I am a little bit confused. It says that reference letters should be accompanying the application package. However there is an extension till Dec.1, to those who have conflicts

So is it Oct 3 or Dec 1? If I cant get a reference letter by Oct 3, should I email OMSAS or something to say my reference letter is coming in later?

Thanks,

So all we have to do is print the CAF and send to our referees (or e-mail) before Oct. 3? Can somebody please confirm that their referees sent them after Oct. 3, before Dec. 1, in the past and it worked out fine?

I'm very confused because OMSAS says:

"All Confidential Assessment Forms should be received by [October 3]. Please note: Failure to meet this deadline means that the application will be sent to the medical schools without these forms and will delay the progress of their first evaluation."

Thanks.

If there really is no advantage to us in getting the applications in early (before Oct 3), then they should just list the deadline as Dec 1.

OMSAS should clarify that we just need to select our referees by Oct 3.

Anyone else have their references submitted between Oct 3-Dec 1 and have things work out fine?

HI EVERYONE,

I just wanted to make this post for those who are confused about the October 3rd and December 1st date for reference letter submission at Ontario schools.

I CALLED both OMSAS and the Medical Schools in Ontario, and the individuals I spoke with told me that OMSAS EXPECTS to receive the forms by October 3rd, HOWEVER, receiving reference letters after October 3rd DOES NOT MEAN your application won't be considered. As long as the reference letters are received BEFORE December 1st, medical school will consider your application.

Moreover, whether OMSAS receives the reference letters by October 3rd OR December 1st DOES NOT increase or decrease the chance of your application. ALL APPLICATIONS will be treated equally as long as the reference letters are received BEFORE December 1st.

Yes, I know...having 2 different deadlines is confusing and may seem unnecessary, but this is set in place to try and avoid things which are NOT in the applicant's control; when the referee sends the letter.

Hope that helps anyone who may be confused by these dates...I certainly was :P

Tesla

Sorry to add to the confusion but I wanted to ask something strictly about the CAFs. I haven't printed them yet but FD are you indicating that we have to have these forms filled out by our referees and sent out to OMSAS by Oct 3, or will these forms be sent as part of the reference letters that have to be in by Dec 1st. So for Oct 3rd, all we have to do is print the CAFs and send them to our referees, but these don't have to be completed until Dec 1st? Or do they?

Sorry to add to the confusion but I wanted to ask something strictly about the CAFs. I haven't printed them yet but FD are you indicating that we have to have these forms filled out by our referees and sent out to OMSAS by Oct 3, or will these forms be sent as part of the reference letters that have to be in by Dec 1st. So for Oct 3rd, all we have to do is print the CAFs and send them to our referees, but these don't have to be completed until Dec 1st? Or do they?
The CAF should be attached to the reference letters and all sent at the same time. They're due at the same time as the reference letters (Dec 1st at the latest).

You have raised an important point. PRINT THE CAF FORMS BEFORE OCTOBER 3rd...AFTER THIS TIME YOU CAN'T PRINT THEM, hence, you won't be able to get your reference letters sent in! YOU, as an applicant, need to give these forms to your referees BEFORE OCTOBER 3rd. The referee sends the CAF forms along with the reference letter. If they do it before December 1st...AWESOME!....If not, then you are in trouble. The CAF should be completed and sent with the reference letter.

Hope that answers your question.

Tesla

Archived