Premed 101 Forums

Great nugget summary of med schools

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Heya,

I posted this link in the OMSAS forums as well (where, BTW, there's a "Letters of Reference" question that I can't quite answer). <hint hint> :D

I discovered a great site put together by the MedPlus program at Brock University. Here, there's a one-page summary of facts for all the English-speaking Canadian med schools, including number of applicants and seats for the year 2000, and MCAT cut-offs for the Ontario med schools. Check it out, and perhaps print it out for your own reference (who knows if it will be deleted to make room for this year's stats later on).

www.brocku.ca/experienceplus/medplus/cms.html

Ian

UBC, Med 3

• 9 months later...
Guest brandonite

Except that Manitoba lets in 85 students, not 70. Or they have done so for the past two years.

Other than that, it's a nice simple summary.

Guest Kirsteen

...also, I didn't think that UBC required such high MCAT "averages". Better that the list is at least conservative.! Nonetheless, it's still a good resource; and good on Brock for designing such an innovative program. Sounds like they have a wealth of great experiences to offer.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 4 months later...
Guest slowpoke

I'm confused. For Western the min. GPA is listed as 3.65. That's the cutoff I assume. Yet the average entering GPA is 3.6. WTF?

Guest JSS02

Hmm. I don't think UWO discloses the average GPA of their entering class. But assuming that the 3.6 is true, then it's possible if it represents the average cumulative GPA. The "minimums" are for your best and final years, so you could get below 3.65 in other years without penalty.

Guest UWOMED2005

As far as I know, UWO doesn't calculate the average entering GPA. They make a point of it to avoid people feeling superior/inferior than the average. 3.60 was the cutoff for the 2005s. . . maybe that's where they got the number from.

The website has a few errors. UBC has a minimum of 8 for each subject of the MCAT. The overall average score of entering students is around 29-30 I believe...

seno

Guest monkey

hmmmm...i know of a book taht is published that tends to have more indepth information about each school and what each schools looks at. as well, it gives statistical values for the number who get in and such for each school....its about $10 bucks i believe...gosh, i cant remember its name...its by a canadian institute or something...anyone know what its called? in addition to the website mentioned i think that'd be a great book to refer to.

Guest UofCMeds2005

To med school hopefuls please be advised that there are always exception to the rules. I personally know someone who got into calgary with a lower MCAT score than was listed. So, don't freak out if you don't make all the cut offs. My advice is that you will never know if you could have gotten in unless you try.

Archived