Premed 101 Forums

Clinical Research vs Basic Science

Unknown786

Hi,

I am currently taking an year off to boost my ECs as I realize they aren't great. I am also thinking of getting involved in research a bit. I have an option of picking between clinical research and basic science. For clinical one, I will be working with a neurologist in writing up case reports, assisting him in writing/editing the books, and one major project on Pain in Parkinson's disease which involves collecting the data from patients and its subsequent analysis and publication. He said that he will be listing me as his coauthor in whatever I will be doing/assisting him with.

On the other hand, I have a university professor (whose lab I have already volunteered in for an year) has offered me to do an independent project in neurophysiology. I will be working all by myself and depending on the results, I may or may not get the publication in an year or so. Its quite time consuming too as he asked me to come in 5 full days a week, whereas in the clinical one the time committment isn't all that bad.

Which one do you think I should pick? Should I risk getting involved in basic science one where I may or may not get a publication or the clinical one where I will be listed as coauthor of his case-reports, books or other projects? I want to choose the one that can help me most in strengthening my profile.

Thanks so much in advance!

I'd be cautious when they promise you that much stuff! I've had PIs promise stuff before and I realized that it doesn't really work that way. I've learned A LOT more doing a project on my own with the guidance of a supervisor than contributing to some major project.

It just depends why you're in the research: for the big credit or to learn something?!

Edit: And honestly, you should be in on it to learn something. The credit will come.

Hi,

I am currently taking an year off to boost my ECs as I realize they aren't great. I am also thinking of getting involved in research a bit. I have an option of picking between clinical research and basic science. For clinical one, I will be working with a neurologist in writing up case reports, assisting him in writing/editing the books, and one major project on Pain in Parkinson's disease which involves collecting the data from patients and its subsequent analysis and publication. He said that he will be listing me as his coauthor in whatever I will be doing/assisting him with.

On the other hand, I have a university professor (whose lab I have already volunteered in for an year) has offered me to do an independent project in neurophysiology. I will be working all by myself and depending on the results, I may or may not get the publication in an year or so. Its quite time consuming too as he asked me to come in 5 full days a week, whereas in the clinical one the time committment isn't all that bad.

Which one do you think I should pick? Should I risk getting involved in basic science one where I may or may not get a publication or the clinical one where I will be listed as coauthor of his case-reports, books or other projects? I want to choose the one that can help me most in strengthening my profile.

Thanks so much in advance!

honestly, i think it boils down to if you would prefer to work in a lab or to work directly with patients.

It depends on the nature of the clinical research. A lot of clinical research involves doing chart reviews, in which case you are not getting any patient contact, let alone human contact.

I am lucky enough in my research to work directly with patients. And, it's fantastic. Like you said, depends on the nature of the research.

Ultimately you need to do what interests you.

Something that may help you decide...look at the productivity of both your potential supervisors. And remember that an academic depends on academic publications etc to "stay in business". Clinicians have their clinical work to fall back on, and do may not get to things in as timely a manner.

And there are never guarantees that your work will lead to publications. So pick something you will enjoy and learn from.

Archived