Premed 101 Forums

Schools for Nursing

Alkatize

Hello!

I first want to say that I'm currently a Grade 12 student and I'm really interested in Nursing. I'm considering a career as a Physician, but I really don't want to worry about that until I get into an undergraduate program.

I've searched around the forum, and I've noticed that no one has really discussed anything about nursing programs. (I'm very sorry if this question has been asked before.)

It seems that there are a lot of people with a BScN on PreMed101, so I was just wondering if anyone can share their view on any Ontario nursing programs. I only have a few months left before I have to apply to universities or colleges, but I really don't know which schools I should apply to.

I'm currently leaning towards McMaster's and Ryerson's nursing program. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking your time to read this.

Hey there,

Although I don't know much about Mac or Ryerson's nursing programs, I'll put in my 2 cents (just completed a BScN at the U of Windsor).

As for Windsor- sometimes the benefits of a smaller, midsize university are overlooked. Since the program is relatively small, you really have the opportunity to get to know profs, etc. Windsor has a great entrance scholarship program you may want to check out depending on your high school grades. You do need to maintain an 11.0 out of 13.0 (about an 85 % average), but it can be a lot of money! Also, they're always making changes and improvements to the program, even since I've been through it.

Depending on how seriously you are considering a career as a physician, you will want to weigh carefully the idea of doing a nursing degree. If you're completely turned off by the idea of a biology degree, undecided, or genuinely interested in trying nursing, it's a great alternative and a great backup plan should you decide to apply later. You do get basic courses in physiology, anatomy, microbiology, pharm, etc. You will get to work in the hospital and the community, interacting with patients as a health care professional. These things could be a potential well of knowledge and experience to draw from should you apply for med school later. However, a main challenge will be getting by the mcat without 1st-2nd year science courses, or alternatively trying to fit in said courses with your busy, practically prescheduled nursing program.

And if being a physician is what you want, then be proactive about it . . . because whatever uni program you choose (nursing definitely included!) you will get very busy, very fast.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I'll try my best!

Hey there,

Although I don't know much about Mac or Ryerson's nursing programs, I'll put in my 2 cents (just completed a BScN at the U of Windsor).

As for Windsor- sometimes the benefits of a smaller, midsize university are overlooked. Since the program is relatively small, you really have the opportunity to get to know profs, etc. Windsor has a great entrance scholarship program you may want to check out depending on your high school grades. You do need to maintain an 11.0 out of 13.0 (about an 85 % average), but it can be a lot of money! Also, they're always making changes and improvements to the program, even since I've been through it.

Depending on how seriously you are considering a career as a physician, you will want to weigh carefully the idea of doing a nursing degree. If you're completely turned off by the idea of a biology degree, undecided, or genuinely interested in trying nursing, it's a great alternative and a great backup plan should you decide to apply later. You do get basic courses in physiology, anatomy, microbiology, pharm, etc. You will get to work in the hospital and the community, interacting with patients as a health care professional. These things could be a potential well of knowledge and experience to draw from should you apply for med school later. However, a main challenge will be getting by the mcat without 1st-2nd year science courses, or alternatively trying to fit in said courses with your busy, practically prescheduled nursing program.

And if being a physician is what you want, then be proactive about it . . . because whatever uni program you choose (nursing definitely included!) you will get very busy, very fast.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, I'll try my best!

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience! I didn't really think of fitting those courses in. Although it may be tough, it is possible. I really do want the clinical experience and I would love to have a back up. It seems nursing is, in my opinion, the best program that can an aspiring medical student can take.

I graduated Ryerson nursing, and I didn't like it very much. If I had to do it again, I would take a science undergrad and do the 2 year accelerated nursing program if I still didn't want to be a physician. Also, I've noticed that Mac nurses are very good; they have an anatomy lab, and share many great lecturers and resources with the medical school. Good luck to you :)

DonGeo

I graduated Ryerson nursing, and I didn't like it very much. If I had to do it again, I would take a science undergrad and do the 2 year accelerated nursing program if I still didn't want to be a physician. Also, I've noticed that Mac nurses are very good; they have an anatomy lab, and share many great lecturers and resources with the medical school. Good luck to you :)

DonGeo

I heard Mac's program is more team-work based than individual work. I've heard ups and down about both programs. Care to share why Ryerson Nursing wasn't that great in your opinion? It would be very much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I don't know the details of Mac's Nursing program. You're right, I have heard that they do a lot of small group sessions, for better or for worse. The two strong points I noticed from Mac were the quality of their grads in the workplace and the benefits of having a med school, anatomy lab, and hospital (albeit paediatric) on campus.

I don't know if Ryerson is any worse or better than Mac in teaching methods, but it does lack the boons I mentioned above. I found the program at Ryerson to be very theory-oriented with vague, and in my opinion, absurd concepts often presented as university-level material. There was little preparation for clinical in terms of skills and pathophysiology. All of third year was devoted to community, despite the fact that the great majority of us grads went on to med-surg-type nursing and sorely needed more clinical placements and clinically-oriented courses. Anyways, it'll get you the license and the degree - if you're motivated, you can learn all the pathophys and clinical stuff at home in your spare time and when you start working.

Regards,

DonGeo

Unfortunately, I don't know the details of Mac's Nursing program. You're right, I have heard that they do a lot of small group sessions, for better or for worse. The two strong points I noticed from Mac were the quality of their grads in the workplace and the benefits of having a med school, anatomy lab, and hospital (albeit paediatric) on campus.

I don't know if Ryerson is any worse or better than Mac in teaching methods, but it does lack the boons I mentioned above. I found the program at Ryerson to be very theory-oriented with vague, and in my opinion, absurd concepts often presented as university-level material. There was little preparation for clinical in terms of skills and pathophysiology. All of third year was devoted to community, despite the fact that the great majority of us grads went on to med-surg-type nursing and sorely needed more clinical placements and clinically-oriented courses. Anyways, it'll get you the license and the degree - if you're motivated, you can learn all the pathophys and clinical stuff at home in your spare time and when you start working.

Regards,

DonGeo

Thanks a lot for the reply. I was checking this thread everyday for new posts. The information you provided me is truly invaluable. This will really help me decide on where to study nursing. I'm really hoping to get into McMaster, and if not, will attend a different university.

Once again, thank you very much.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

You can't complain about not having options when it comes to nurising schools. The best advice that I can give you is for you to search online for local options, it makes everything easier. After you will have completed the first school cycle then the options get wider. Good luck!

Archived