Premed 101 Forums

Worried about EC's - Comp. App?

So I'm a graduate student one year into my masters degree (started right after undergrad). I'm hoping to be done in 2 years (currently applying to ontario schools) and I feel I have a fairly competitive application. My gpa is around 3.75-3.8 but around 3.9 on the uoft scale and I have a decent mcat score of 30Q (10's across). I have done lots of EC's but in talking to people about their uoft essay I've gotten worried since I don't have anything very unique. I've been exec on a few clubs, still volunteering at a hospital, tutored for 6-7 years, worked in residence and a few other things but nothing really medically outstanding. I have been fairly productive in grad school, two 2nd author abstracts (manuscripts currently in prep), and hopefully a first author abstract within a month or two and another one or two lower author pubs as well. I guess my question is, what are people's thoughts on my application? Am I being too hard on myself about my ec's? Any tips on the uoft essay? Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...
So I'm a graduate student one year into my masters degree (started right after undergrad). I'm hoping to be done in 2 years (currently applying to ontario schools) and I feel I have a fairly competitive application. My gpa is around 3.75-3.8 but around 3.9 on the uoft scale and I have a decent mcat score of 30Q (10's across). I have done lots of EC's but in talking to people about their uoft essay I've gotten worried since I don't have anything very unique. I've been exec on a few clubs, still volunteering at a hospital, tutored for 6-7 years, worked in residence and a few other things but nothing really medically outstanding. I have been fairly productive in grad school, two 2nd author abstracts (manuscripts currently in prep), and hopefully a first author abstract within a month or two and another one or two lower author pubs as well. I guess my question is, what are people's thoughts on my application? Am I being too hard on myself about my ec's? Any tips on the uoft essay? Thanks for your help!

I'd say your competitive. The 10 in VR will keep you out of UWO and depending on your residency and what your weighted GPA is, you may or may not make UOttawa's cut-off.

The EC's sound good too. For UofT, you're in good shape with lots of research experience. I'd say you're being too hard on yourself!

Archived