Premed 101 Forums

Chances at International Schools?

Just wondering what my chances are at Irish/Australian Schools are with the following stats:

Undergraduate GPA:3.85 (OMSAS)

Graduate GPA: 4.0 (MSc)

MCAT: 28Q (9V/9PS/10BS) last taken in 2007

Research: 3 papers, 1 submitted, lots of national/international conference abstracts

Awards: OGS, NSERC x 2

I am applying for some Canadian schools but I realize that the competition is insane and that there is a good chance that I might not be accepted. I am looking for international schools to apply to as well this cycle.

I am planning on re-writing the MCAT in January/February if no interviews are offered as well. Hopefully, if I can secure a better score, will open up more schools that I can apply to.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Maybe

Just wondering what my chances are at Irish/Australian Schools are with the following stats:

Undergraduate GPA:3.85 (OMSAS)

Graduate GPA: 4.0 (MSc)

MCAT: 28Q (9V/9PS/10BS) last taken in 2007

Research: 3 papers, 1 submitted, lots of national/international conference abstracts

Awards: OGS, NSERC x 2

I am applying for some Canadian schools but I realize that the competition is insane and that there is a good chance that I might not be accepted. I am looking for international schools to apply to as well this cycle.

I am planning on re-writing the MCAT in January/February if no interviews are offered as well. Hopefully, if I can secure a better score, will open up more schools that I can apply to.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Maybe

Your stats are generally good for Canadian schools. The MCAT needs improvement but it's good enough for some. Believe it or not your stats are good enough for UT on paper.

The big question is are you IP for any province other than Ontario (or if you are SWOMEN). IP status can give you a huge boost.

Don't bother with international schools. US schools would take you if Canadian ones doesn't.

You have a solid stat!

That should be good for UT and Mac, the best.

Your best bet is rewriting your mcat, I think if you get above 30, you will have a really good chance at Canadian school (V=11), and if not, even if you have high 20's if you apply early (June) for states, you will have a good chance there as well.

Not sure about other international school though.

I heard one student turned down by Flinders who had 31Q, 3.75 GPA, but got an interview (I think).

So for this application cycle, Canada only, but next June apply for Oz and States as a back up? (that is if you want to be a doctor absolutely even with a high tuition - debt >20K.)

No one should go to international schools with that GPA. Don't underestimate yourself. Apply to MD and DO schools in the states as well.

Yeah, I'm not sure if I'm willing to wait a year to find out though. Med school is a long process, that could be one year's salary that I could be earning earlier to pay off loans/debts, etc.

Your stats are generally good for Canadian schools. The MCAT needs improvement but it's good enough for some. Believe it or not your stats are good enough for UT on paper.

The big question is are you IP for any province other than Ontario (or if you are SWOMEN). IP status can give you a huge boost.

Don't bother with international schools. US schools would take you if Canadian ones doesn't.

I might look good on paper, but you never know. It still feels like I'm buying a lottery ticket just like everybody else. I feel like I'm a competitive applicant, but that doesn't necessarily make me one in the admission committee's eyes. I wish they were more transparent about their ways lol. I am from Ontario but not SWOMEN.... and I'm sure that 9 in VR was pure luck!

I thought 28Q was too low for US schools though? Seems like people need 30+ MCAT scores to be considered....

You have a solid stat!

That should be good for UT and Mac, the best.

Your best bet is rewriting your mcat, I think if you get above 30, you will have a really good chance at Canadian school (V=11), and if not, even if you have high 20's if you apply early (June) for states, you will have a good chance there as well.

Not sure about other international school though.

I heard one student turned down by Flinders who had 31Q, 3.75 GPA, but got an interview (I think).

So for this application cycle, Canada only, but next June apply for Oz and States as a back up? (that is if you want to be a doctor absolutely even with a high tuition - debt >20K.)

I agree, I have applications going to Canada and Irish schools right now. If I get nothing, then it's time to re-write the MCAT and cast the net even wider, i.e. Canada/States/Irish/Aus.

Thanks guys for the responses. I really appreciate it.

All the best,

Maybe

Congrats on getting your ARCT! I just finished gr 10 when university started so there goes that idea.... maybe one day I'll pick it up again. Was it a performer's or teacher's ARCT? Anyways, hopefully you still get to play lots.

Maybe

Archived