Premed 101 Forums

Non-degree courses in a 5th year

So there's a lot of talk of second degree courses on the forums. I was considering doing one, but it seems like I can't at my university at least. So I was wondering how post-degree courses that are NOT part of degree affect GPA calculation for Canadian medical school? Is there any point in doing this, can it be used to improve my GPA? Does it make a difference if these non-degree courses taken during a 5th year, are taken as a full time vs. a part time basis?

Anyways, I'm in the process of finding out all this info...but I need to make a decision urgently...so if anyone has any insights on this it will be much much appreciated as it will greatly help my decision making process! :) Thanks in advance!

So there's a lot of talk of second degree courses on the forums. I was considering doing one, but it seems like I can't at my university at least. So I was wondering how post-degree courses that are NOT part of degree affect GPA calculation for Canadian medical school? Is there any point in doing this, can it be used to improve my GPA? Does it make a difference if these non-degree courses taken during a 5th year, are taken as a full time vs. a part time basis?

Anyways, I'm in the process of finding out all this info...but I need to make a decision urgently...so if anyone has any insights on this it will be much much appreciated as it will greatly help my decision making process! :) Thanks in advance!

It depends on which school you think this will benefit you for. For example, if you are going to do a non-degree 5th year for UWO, then it's in your best interest to take full course load and meet their other requirements. On the other hand, it you just want to take some courses to improve your overall cGPA, or just to fulfill some missing prereqs, then you don't have to take full course load. So in short it's context dependent.

Ah thanks. Primarily I'm doing it to get some prerequisites, 4 courses to be precise. But I figured since I am taking these 4 courses I might as well do additional courses to boost up my GPA. I'm thinking of taking science courses as these extra courses to increase my science GPA that some schools require. The other option is to do a masters, but it seems like this really wouldn't help me very much other than give me a back up plan. So I guess my question is for the Canadian schools and perhaps American schools is a non-degree 5th year better than a masters? If so, is a full time 5th year better than a part time 5th year?

Archived