Premed 101 Forums

How do you know if a poster/oral is peer reviewed?

lostintime

I don't think so. Try to find the title of the poster on the internet,

if you find it on a database, than you would be able to tell if its peer reviewed.

if its not published, it would still be located on university publication websites (which are not peer reviewed).

I know publications are peer-reviewed, but are posters/orals considered peer-reviewed? Thanks.

Conference abstracts are peer reviewed (thats how you get accepted to present at the conference or not), but their corresponding posters and presentations are not. When referencing an abstract, you do so in the same manner as a journal paper, only instead of putting a journal name you put "proceedings of the _________;" whatever the conference is called. If it's for a resume or application somewhere, you write out the abstract reference, and then after you specify whether it was presented as a poster or podium presentation, and indicate who presented with bold text or underline.

So for stuff like CaRMS, if your abstract gets accepted, then you will definitely have a poster/oral. So do you list it as twice? I mean it seems to kinda dilute it since everyone knows that you can't JUST have an abstract for a conference, you usually have a poster/oral right? So is it ok to just list the poster/oral?

And for stuff like paid research, do you list it as BOTH research and paid employment? Thanks.

No you can be an author on an abstract but not actually be the one who presented. Listing things twice will look redundant and like resume padding. Therefore, do as I said above, I.e. Write out the abstracts you have authored/co-authored and specify which ones you presented and what form of presentation they were. For research experience, I'm not sure I would make a separate section for this since research can fall under education (ex. Honours, Master's or doctoral theses), work (ex. Paid research positions), volunteer positions, awards, funding and publications. If you do decide to make a separate research section, I'd just list the topics you've done research on and for how long. The rest if your resume should speak for itself.

Archived