Premed 101 Forums

2nd degree or Masters - suggestions?

Completed BSc in 2011:

1st year - 3.57

2nd year - 3.71

3rd year - 3.97

4th year - 3.80

MCAT - 29M

Alberta resident, rejected post-interview both UofA and UC last year.

Rewrote MCAT this summer, huge failure.. got 28P. Will rewrite early next year.

Reapplying to UofA and UC and other eligible Canadian schools this year.

MY QUESTION - As a backup for next year, should I do a 2nd degree in order to increase my GPA, or do a Master's? Initially, I was set on going for a MSc, but now I am skeptical of my GPA. Although it's not too bad with dropping the lowest GPA for both my province's medical schools, it seems that the admissions stats are becoming more and more competitive each year. At the same time, I am currently working as a research assistant and I am really enjoying it.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.. Thank you!!

I second that as well,

I talked to academic councillor (in similar situation as you...) at my uni and there is no point getting second undergrad when your GPA is already high enough for interviews. Also, note Western will not count 2 year HONS and several schools do not look at application when you are in 2nd year of your program...

With research, you might have even better luck with U of T!

get the second UG if you absoltely hate research or is extremely interested in that other field and must study it!

:) hope this helped.

• 2 weeks later...

that is just REALLY freaky! Your stats are pretty similar to mine (except I'm not from Alberta and my second year GPA is lower).

I agree with the previous posters about not doing another undergrad; it won't be worth your time&effort. You *could* do a master's degree, or improve your ECs or do something else.

good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone! From my results from last year, my activities score was higher than average for UofA and near average for Calgary. Thus, I am focusing mostly on my interview and planning to rewrite the MCAT after the results of this year's med admissions. Also, I am leaning towards applying for a professional degree (dietetics or physical therapy) as a backup should I not get in again this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived