Premed 101 Forums

Full course load

Guest mk

Do most schools stress that the GPA is calculated on courses while taking a full course load. During one of my years (I had a high GPA that year), I took 8 courses Sept-April (4 courses each term) plus 1 course before September during the summer months and another course after April during the summer months. Any thoughts about taking summer courses in general?

Guest Jase133

I applied on the strength of my first two years. Both not full coarse load (5 courses in one semester, 4 in the other). I took summer courses.

Got interviews. Don't know if I'll get beyond that. Hopefully I will though! :)

most schools (certainly at the U of A) won't use your summer courses as part of your official GPA, unless it's a prereq course for med admittance... so, unless you're taking a summer class just so you won't have to deal with it for a whole term or year, summer classes don't really do much for you.

Guest Ian Wong

I did a number of summer courses, and looking back on it, I wish that I hadn't. The major reason being that the summer is the typical full-time student's only chance to really do something long-term without the disruption of school.

In terms of getting into med school, the summer is a great time to go do some travelling, perhaps in concert with an international volunteer project. For those without the extra cash to spare, the summer can be a good time to do some research projects (hopefully paid) with the expectation of getting a good reference letter and perhaps a publication (both nice things to have in your application).

For those people that might not have a great deal of health-care related volunteering, you could set up a few different jobs around town (eg. Emerg, neonatal nursery, geriatrics, yadda yadda). Unfortunately, there's not a great deal of patient-centered volunteering experience out there to be had immediately, but if you aren't afraid to approach doctors, you might be allowed to shadow them a bit. Amusingly enough, this is what I'm trying to do for this summer as a med student. I wish I'd been a bit more aggressive when volunteering during premed to make more doctor acquaintances; it would make setting up shadowing opportunities much easier.

One last thing, just to echo EB: check to see if the med schools you are interested in use your summer courses as part of your overall GPA. I think there are med schools on both sides of the fence.

Ian

Can, MS2

Archived